Invisible gigabytes put on SSD when i run steam first time setup on a game

WarDude76
Go to solution Solved by ProgrammerJoe,

Things like DirectX, MS Redists, SQL Server, etc tend to install on on your main drive rather than in the steam folder because steam doesn't control the installation itself.

They install where Microsoft want them to install.

Your games go in the steam folder because steam itself is the installer, but for the things I listed, they use their own installer.

The files in CCleaner that you are asking about are used by Windows for the system restore points. I guess you could delete them if you want, but you'll lose that restore point and could potentially break other stuff

Just as a side note about anti-virus software, I personally like Avast, but as long as you avoid Norton and McAfee, you should be fine.

Hello everybody! I'm sorry if this post is not in the right place or if it is too long but i can't find anywhere else to post it. I have a Samsung 850 PRO 128 GB SSD, a WD Blue 1TB HDD and i am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I recently bought a custom computer from a boutique builder and i installed Steam and my downloads, documents, pictures, music etc. on my HDD and my OS and everything else like my anti-virus, graphic drivers and chrome on my SSD. I downloaded a few games on Steam and then i launched one of the games and it prompted me to the first time setup where it installed programs like direct-x and microsoft redist as usual. And then i noticed that i gained a few gigabytes (!) on my SSD for no reason. Then i did the first time setup with another game on Steam and it did the exact same thing. Shouldnt all the direct x and microsoft redist packages be in just the HDD with steam and not in the SSD? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question as this is the first non pre-bulit computer i have. I have searched through the internet and used programs such as TikiOne Steam Cleaner but it doesn't work. I am running out of space rapidly and any answers are appreciated.

These are my specs:

Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card
Intel Core i5-4460 CPU
Gigabyte H97 GAMING 3 Motherboard
Kingston Hyper X Fury 2x4GB RAM
Samsung 850 PRO 128GB SSD
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU Cooler
SilverStone Strider SST-ST65F-G 650 Watts 80+ Plus Gold Power Supply
Cooler Master Storm Scout II Mid Tower Case

Also, while i am here, i took a screenshot of some files in CCleaner and i was wondering if these are the files taking all the space and if i should delete them. The time modified is the exact same time i installed the first time setup (I think).

post-218594-0-96914300-1427555512_thumb.

post-218594-0-96914300-1427555512_thumb.

Uninstall kaspersky.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Uninstall kaspersky.

How would that help? How does kaspersky add invisible gigabytes to my SSD and why?

How would that help? How does kaspersky add invisible gigabytes to my SSD and why?

because kaspersky is terrible and it may cause issues like that.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

because kaspersky is terrible and it may cause issues like that.

Sorry for late reply, i was a little busy. So, if i uninstall Kaspersky my problem will be fixed? If so, what anti-virus do you propose i get after i uninstall Kaspersky? And if the problem is not fixed, how do i fix it?  And if anyone else has an alternative suggestion, please tell me, i'd like to consider all my options before i do anything drastic as uninstalling Kaspersky is not easy.

Sorry for late reply, i was a little busy. So, if i uninstall Kaspersky my problem will be fixed? If so, what anti-virus do you propose i get after i uninstall Kaspersky? And if the problem is not fixed, how do i fix it?  And if anyone else has an alternative suggestion, please tell me, i'd like to consider all my options before i do anything drastic as uninstalling Kaspersky is not easy.

it might but we wont know until we try it.

When yo uninstall it, install MSE. Even if it doesnt fix it, keep mse.

Why is it hard to remove?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

it might but we wont know until we try it.

When yo uninstall it, install MSE. Even if it doesnt fix it, keep mse.

Why is it hard to remove?

It might not be, but i've heard many people complain about it still being there after uninstallation. Sorry if i'm wrong. Anyway, I'll try uninstalling Kaspersky, i'll let you know if it works. Also, no offense, but i cannot find why Kaspersky would result in excess storage right after installing DirectX and Microsoft Redist, but anyway, we wont know until we try it like you said.

Things like DirectX, MS Redists, SQL Server, etc tend to install on on your main drive rather than in the steam folder because steam doesn't control the installation itself.

Your games go in the steam folder because steam itself is the installer, but for the things I listed, they use their own installer.

The files in CCleaner that you are asking about are used by Windows for the system restore points. I guess you could delete them if you want, but you'll lose that restore point and could potentially break other stuff

Just as a side note about anti-virus software, I personally like Avast, but as long as you avoid Norton and McAfee, you should be fine.

A very detailed explanation pointing out most of my problems, Thank you! So that means Kaspersky is not the problem... I'm not that desperate to delete system restore points, i didn't know they made one every time DirectX or Microsoft Redist was installed. But just one last thing, what software would you recommend to actually see and delete the DirectX and Microsoft Redist files? Or should i just let it be instead?