1977 Atari 2600 Build Help

byalexandr

Hey everyone! I am planning a new build and have most of my components together, but I have a question about my power supply. This build is going to be in an Atari 2600 (yes, the 1977 one), and my plan is to stuff a full height card using a PCI-E riser (GTX 750 Ti) on the LGA 1150 platform (G3258). Since I am doing this, I can't use a flex ATX PSU or anything in that nature, so I am planning to use an HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX PSU. I know this may seem unreasonable as some might say the components will draw too much wattage, but I have done my research and it seems like it would work, considering the i3-4130 and GTX 750 Ti only drew ~115W from the wall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43pXorOZ3MQ). Except for one thing. My AC-DC adapter, like one would use on a laptop is going to be 210W (Dell PA-7E, used for the Alienware M17x). My question is, will the 160W PSU only draw what it needs from the 210W adapter? Or do I risk the chance of overloading the PSU? The voltages are within range of the PSU, I just need to know if PSU will only draw what it needs from the adapter. Thanks in advance! Oh, and build log of this beauty is coming soon!

Also, I figured you guys would want to know the specs:

Pentium G3258

HCS H81H3-I Mini ITX

8GB DDR3 1600MHz 2x4GB (got it from old school computers lol)

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Seagate Momentus 500GB 2.5" (upgrading to SSD later)

HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX PSU

StarTech PEX16RISER x16 1U Riser Card

etc., etc.

My plan is to make this 'case' upgradeable. I can put up to a (would require a new PSU, HDPLEX Hi-Fi 250W) GTX 970 and 4790K in this bad boy.

Before you begin, here are my suggestions for you.

1. Get an "S" or "T" variant CPU. Those consume a lot less power, while still being very powerful for gaming.
  2. For the PSU, can you fit TFX size in? If yes, you can go with this one, as it is fully modular (yay for space!), 80+ Gold from seasonic. It should get rid of any problems you might face. And with 350w, rest assured that your 970 + 4770/90 will have enough power.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Before you begin, here are my suggestions for you.

1. Get an "S" or "T" variant CPU. Those consume a lot less power, while still being very powerful for gaming.
  2. For the PSU, can you fit TFX size in? If yes, you can go with this one, as it is fully modular (yay for space!), 80+ Gold from seasonic. It should get rid of any problems you might face. And with 350w, rest assured that your 970 + 4770/90 will have enough power.

Thank you for your reply, and sorry for my late reply. The G3258 isn't available in an S or T variant, and I REALLY love that CPU. When I upgrade later on, I can use a T or S variant CPU. TFX PSUs aren't an option, as this an extremely limited space. I have to use a riser card much like in the Silverstone RVZ01 to even use a expansion card. Also, my current PC, "All Out" (in my signature) uses a TFX PSU. There is an even smaller form factor called Flex ATX, but even that is too big.