0xc0000225 "winload.efi is either corrupt or missing"... Help!

TheTechyBrit
Go to solution Solved by SubTract,

did you make sure you selected the right drive to repair the bootloader?

run your installation disk select your language and keyboard layout.

then choose repair computer > advanced > command prompt

diskpart

starts diskpart

sel disk 0

selects first disk. (I would suggest unplugging all other drives for simplicity)

list vol

lists partitions on selected disk

From this list you want to find the FAT32 volume take note of the volume number

(you will also want to take note of your windows partition drive letter for later)

sel vol 4

selects appropriate volume

vol 4 is an example but this number wants to be the number of the fat32 volume

assign letter=t:

assigns letter t: to volume 4

exit

exits diskpart

now you want to repeat what you tried with repairing the bootloader

cd /d t:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootrec /fixboot

Now to rebuild the BCD.

I normally recommend backing up you BCD first

but it appears you have already overridden it.

If you want to do it anyway

ren BCD BCD.bk

renames BCD to BCD.bk

bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s t: /f ALL

takes files from your C drive and copies them to the boot partition in english US language

now a couple of things to note here c: won't always be your windows partition pay attention when in diskpart to check which partition is your windows one and if it is a different letter then use that instead of c: (this will be an issue if you installed linux before windows)

the second thing is that you way not be using the US locale for me here in aus it would be en-au in england it would be en-gb in germany it would be de so make sure you get the correct locale as your windows install (There is a list of language codes here if you're unsure) So make sure you use your language code and replace en-us

Then reboot and remove your installation media.

Hello,

I recently installed Linux Mint 17.1 on my main PC and later attempted to add my Windows 8.1 copy to allow me to have a dual boot setup. I got as far as the rebooting from the Windows installation but when I selected the "Windows Boot Manager" option from GRUB I was presented with error 0xc0000225.

I've tried several supposed 'fixes' online but nothing works. I've used Bootrec on my installation USB to fix the MBR, 'fix boot', I even rebuilt the BCD but to no avail!

Before this I was able to atleast get into my 8.1 installation by using Super GRUB2 Disk but because of this error I can't even do that!

I think it was caused by when I couldn't install Linux in the first place so I wiped my disk of GPT with a tool on my live USB called 'Fixparts'. That is where the problem started.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about what I've just said if it wasn't too clear... I'm not that good with words :P

Thanks all :D

I own some games... not many, but they have taken my life.

CPU: AMD A10 6790k GPU: GTX 750 Ti SC (+600 / +135) RAM: 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz PSU: Corsair CX 430W HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda & 60GB Kingston SSD Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Etc?: Laptop HDD for downloads folder :P

I would install Windows first then when you plug in mint, the installer will give you an option to "install alongside windows" and will let you choose the amount of space you want. The installer will do the rest for you.

I would install Windows first then when you plug in mint, the installer will give you an option to "install alongside windows" and will let you choose the amount of space you want. The installer will do the rest for you.

That's my issue, I either have GRUB left over which no amount of Bootrec /fixmbr will solve or a Windows boot error :(

I own some games... not many, but they have taken my life.

CPU: AMD A10 6790k GPU: GTX 750 Ti SC (+600 / +135) RAM: 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz PSU: Corsair CX 430W HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda & 60GB Kingston SSD Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Etc?: Laptop HDD for downloads folder :P

did you make sure you selected the right drive to repair the bootloader?

run your installation disk select your language and keyboard layout.

then choose repair computer > advanced > command prompt

diskpart

starts diskpart

sel disk 0

selects first disk. (I would suggest unplugging all other drives for simplicity)

list vol

lists partitions on selected disk

From this list you want to find the FAT32 volume take note of the volume number

(you will also want to take note of your windows partition drive letter for later)

sel vol 4

selects appropriate volume

vol 4 is an example but this number wants to be the number of the fat32 volume

assign letter=t:

assigns letter t: to volume 4

exit

exits diskpart

now you want to repeat what you tried with repairing the bootloader

cd /d t:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootrec /fixboot

Now to rebuild the BCD.

I normally recommend backing up you BCD first

but it appears you have already overridden it.

If you want to do it anyway

ren BCD BCD.bk

renames BCD to BCD.bk

bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s t: /f ALL

takes files from your C drive and copies them to the boot partition in english US language

now a couple of things to note here c: won't always be your windows partition pay attention when in diskpart to check which partition is your windows one and if it is a different letter then use that instead of c: (this will be an issue if you installed linux before windows)

the second thing is that you way not be using the US locale for me here in aus it would be en-au in england it would be en-gb in germany it would be de so make sure you get the correct locale as your windows install (There is a list of language codes here if you're unsure) So make sure you use your language code and replace en-us

Then reboot and remove your installation media.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4