I can not get an image when using 144hz on an Acer gn246hl

AlexIsPlaying

EDIT: Monitor is defective. It has been one expensive mistake buying this. $50 to ship it back. Ouch.

120hz is fine. Once I go to 144hz though, all I have is a black screen. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out and I don't even know what else to try

My rig is as follows:

GTX970

i7 4790k

AsRock Z97 Extreme6

EVGA SuperNova 750G1

Win 8.1 64bit

16GB DDR3-1600

I have tried the following:

-Different Scaling options for the display in NVidia Control Panel

-Restarting after selecting 144hz & having the black screen

-Only using the Acer Display to see if the other two were causing a conflict (I'd have 2 60hz and 1 144hz going)

-Two different DVI-D cables. 

-Tried both DVI Ports on my GPU

-Asking Reddit for help

-Crying softly onto the box of said monitor while staring at the "144hz" logo.

-Going to sleep and hoping it worked the next day (Spoilers: It didn't).

I also have a secondary problem. I get an insane amount of flicker with static images. For someone that reads a ton of Visual Novels this is becoming a problem. I have a small video showing what's happening 

It's weird, it only seems to flicker during games that have some static sections. Not always, but sometimes. It's quite annoying. Switching over to 60hz didn't fix it either.

If you fellas' have any ideas on what I can do to fix it, I'd love to try. I want these extra 24hz! That's like +1 Cinematic Experience there!

Add me on Steam, let's play some Vidja Games! YeaOh~!  http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/alexisplaying

Reinstall your drivers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There were no drivers for this monitor. If I go on Acer's website for drivers all I have is a color profile. Not quite sure if that will do anything, nor do I know what to do with said profile.

I guess I can try GPU drivers again. Worth a shot. Will edit this post if it works or fails.

EDIT: GPU Drivers did nothing.

Add me on Steam, let's play some Vidja Games! YeaOh~!  http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/alexisplaying

It could be all the above, but on the Newegg page it says "Acer GN246HL Black 24" 1ms 144hz HDMI Widescreen". Do you have a HDMI cable you could test it on?

As far as I know, doesn't HDMI cap out at 60hz with some of the later revisions going to 120? Could have swore DVI-D and Display Port were the only ways to achieve 144. Even so, I have no spare HDMI cables I can test it on.

I wouldnt want to be quoted on it, its a longshot, but might possibly work. Worth a test, but if not, the other options would be worth testing :)
Best of luck

Yeah, just looked into it some. No chance I'm doing 144 on HDMI. I think I'm more concerned about this flickering I'm getting now. Playing CoD right now and certain walls just flicker if I stare at them. It's really odd, it's definitely not the GPU causing the flicker, like you can see the monitor just blinking in the video I posted at the start. It's super distracting. I wonder if I just got a dud of a monitor.

EDIT: Finally got the drivers for the monitor installed, it was a pain to get them installed too. Didn't solve anything :/

Alright, just talked to ACER tech support today. They told me how to set it to 1080p and claimed multiple times that it's a 120hz monitor which is false. Great support over there, heh.

So, I figured out that the flicker is directly related to my contrast/gamma levels. I managed to adjust them so that the flicker is minimal, but still there. It's still incredibly distracting but now instead of it taking up a good 25% of my screen sometimes, now it takes up maybe 5%.

144hz on the other hand, still no luck. Just a black screen. I feel like I've exhausted everything except using a display port cable which I don't have. DVI-D should achieve 144hz right? 144hz isn't a display port only thing is it!?

• 11 months later...

Hey, I have the same monitor and have encountered the same problem, if not worse (whole screen becomes grey and only solution is restarting computer) at 144Hz. Have not been able to figure out a cause/solution. And yes, DVI-D is capable of 144Hz, not just displayport. If you read the instructions on Acer's website on achieving the rated 144Hz spec they specify to use the provided Dual-DVI connection. Will post again if I find a solution.