Mega cheap special build suggestions

I'm beginning a new research phase and would very much appreciate some initial input.

Background

I have two ageing systems. One of them is still capable of playing modern games, the second is not and has officially reached EOL as of yesterday. The specifications for reference are as follows:

System #1:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 945 @ 3GHz (OC ~3.5GHz)

MB: Asus M2N-E

GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC

RAM: 4GB DDR2

PSU: Corsair AX750W

System #2:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800 (skt 939) @ 2.5GHz
MB: ASRock 939NFG-VSTA
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 1GB OC
RAM: 4GB DDR1
PSU: Corsair AX750W

Both systems drive x4 "19 monitors in Eyefinity.

Current Plans

I don't see the value in dumping any large amount of money into these systems. Therefore I want to do the absolute minimum necessary to bring them a little up to date.

What I'm thinking of doing is replacing the guts in System #2 with those from System #1 (CPU, RAM, MB) and building a media centre with the older parts. Then filling System #1 with something like the following:

CPU: AMD FX-6 6300 @ 3.5GHz

MB: Cheapest 990FX ~ possibly the ASRock one

RAM: Cheapest 8GB DDR3 kit

HSF: Corsair prefab block ~ something like the H75/H80

It's this something that I'd ideally like some input on please. What do you suggest?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

fx-6300 is a great cpu, if it's "mega cheap" then go for air cooling system with a noctua fan. Also your motherboard is still a little expensive, shop around for cheap usb 3.0 mobos, it'll be worth it. Stick with the 8gb! Your graphics card is becoming rather outdated fast! Just one last tip, cyber Monday is coming up so have your wallet ready! Good luck!

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

fx-6300 is a great cpu, if it's "mega cheap" then go for air cooling system with a noctua fan. Also your motherboard is still a little expensive, shop around for cheap usb 3.0 mobos, it'll be worth it. Stick with the 8gb! Your graphics card is becoming rather outdated fast! Just one last tip, cyber Monday is coming up so have your wallet ready! Good luck!

Thanks, with the exclusion of the PSU I'd be amazed if anything on those systems would be considered remotely current. This is all about flogging a dead horse - so to speak.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Thanks, with the exclusion of the PSU I'd be amazed if anything on those systems would be considered remotely current. This is all about flogging a dead horse - so to speak.

You'd be surprised on the fx's performance with gaming, plus 8gb ddr3 can't be beat for gaming.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

I would go with an air tower cpu cooler instead of an AIO. Depending on the budget and availability something like Hyper 212 EVO, Scythe Kotetsu, or Noctua NH-U12S.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I would go with an air tower cpu cooler instead of an AIO. Depending on the budget and availability something like Hyper 212 EVO, Scythe Kotetsu, or Noctua NH-U12S.

Yeah for sure, I'd normally agree but the space and profile is limited so I doubt they'd fit. Right now I'm at around £230 (I can get the VAT off).

Use an air cooler instead it can save you a few $$$ and still deliver good performance. But everything else looks good.