Questions about 970 & Motherboard

Unilision

Just curious about each one, before I order one, I've looked around several forums and it just swings back and forth between how Asus is better or vice versa with the other brands. 

So what does the community think than? 

Which brand of the 3 GPU would you choose from for a 970 ?

Asus Strix
MSI Twin Frozr V
EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 

or the rather 4th GPU

Gigabyte G1 Gaming Windforce

Lastly, I just want to ask about the MSI SLI Krait Motherboard, is it worth getting ? 

I7 4790K • Corsair H110 • MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition • Kingston Fury Hyper X (White)(16GB)(1866Mhz) • Crucial MX 100 512 GB • Seagate Barracuda 1TB • Phantek Enthoo Pro • EVGA G2 750 Watt 

Asus DRW Optical Drive • TP Link Wifi Adapter • Asus MX279H • CM Devastator Bundle (Blue) • Bitfenix Spectre Pro (White) • Windows 8.1

Galax Hall Of Fame 970

EVGA Superclocked is the best option imo

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Why EVGA? Go for MSI. Lowest noise, best PCI plug placement, and great aesthetics. 

But if you're going for a lot of OCing, maybe the G1 gaming. 

As for the Z97 SLI Krait, it's a great little board. Nothing out of the normal, but it looks awesome. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

EVGA Superclocked is the best option imo

EVGA.

Why EVGA? Go for MSI. Lowest noise, best PCI plug placement, and great aesthetics. 

But if you're going for a lot of OCing, maybe the G1 gaming. 

As for the Z97 SLI Krait, it's a great little board. Nothing out of the normal, but it looks awesome. 

I heard that EVGA did a poor job and has inconsistency with their video card, though I heard that in a different forum wasn't so sure.

Yeah I heard about how MSI is more ideal in noise, temp and appearance, but still kind of unclear with the brand haha 

Oh awesome, yeah the Z97 SLI Krait looks amazing <3 

I7 4790K • Corsair H110 • MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition • Kingston Fury Hyper X (White)(16GB)(1866Mhz) • Crucial MX 100 512 GB • Seagate Barracuda 1TB • Phantek Enthoo Pro • EVGA G2 750 Watt 

Asus DRW Optical Drive • TP Link Wifi Adapter • Asus MX279H • CM Devastator Bundle (Blue) • Bitfenix Spectre Pro (White) • Windows 8.1

Galax Hall Of Fame 970

Here you can read something about MSi, Asus and G1, there is no EVGA though, all I know about EVGA is that they have really good support (door-to-door RMA IIRC).

Edit: 

Did you mean to provide a link?

Damn looks like I forgot to post the link :D http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1 Here it is :]

I heard that EVGA did a poor job and has inconsistency with their video card, though I heard that in a different forum wasn't so sure.

Yeah I heard about how MSI is more ideal in noise, temp and appearance, but still kind of unclear with the brand haha 

People bitch about how not all the heatpipes contact the chip. But it cools just fine.

And EVGA has the best warranty.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Very wrong, EVGA is a good quality manufacturer and they have great support

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Here you can read something about MSi, Asus and G1, there is no EVGA though, all I know about EVGA is that they have really good support (door-to-door RMA IIRC).

People bitch about how not all the heatpipes contact the chip. But it cools just fine.

And EVGA has the best warranty.

Yeah i'm just worried about the cooling and yeah I heard about their warranty, getting one of their PSU xD heard a lot of good things about it

Very wrong, EVGA is a good quality manufacturer and they have great support

I know they make good PSU and GPU's but heard there was some problems here and there with the 970

*Off topic: Just wondering, which would everyone choose if they had to reduce the price in their build, change case or lower the ram amount ? Of course usage would now have to be considered, but overall speaking. 

Galax Hall Of Fame 970

Yeah i'm just worried about the cooling and yeah I heard about their warranty, getting one of their PSU xD heard a lot of good things about it

I know they make good PSU and GPU's but heard there was some problems here and there with the 970

*Off topic: Just wondering, which would everyone choose if they had to reduce the price in their build, change case or lower the ram amount ? Of course usage would now have to be considered, but overall speaking. 

To reduce the price I would get only one storage drive. 8GB ram. Get a cheaper blower card GPU. A non-modular PSU. And a mid range case. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

wat where did you hear that

EVGA - their step-up program is very good. So is their warranty. Asus's card looks the best imho, but warranty is a nightmare.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

To reduce the price I would get only one storage drive. 8GB ram. Get a cheaper blower card GPU. A non-modular PSU. And a mid range case. 

Yeah I thought about that, but even so I need a good GPU which i'm trying to find which one to choose in this post, and as for PSU I can't change it due to the fact that I plan on adding more onto it later on, (2-way SLI, Custom Loop, Etc). Case I really like the Phantek Enthoo Luxe, and not sure which other case to choose that would support a custom loop and still be appealing to me. This is my current build but I can't decide what to take off, lower the amount or etc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.89 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ NCIX) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($81.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($394.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.95 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $1448.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-23 21:31 EST-0500

I'm trying to reduce the price to $1300.00 or lower if possible without changing Mobo, CPU, Case, & PSU 

wat where did you hear that

I read it somewhere in Tom's hardware when I was looking up difference between each brand can't say if it's true or not, as for PSU wise I read it in this forum that they are good 

Galax Hall Of Fame 970

Yeah I thought about that, but even so I need a good GPU which i'm trying to find which one to choose in this post, and as for PSU I can't change it due to the fact that I plan on adding more onto it later on, (2-way SLI, Custom Loop, Etc). Case I really like the Phantek Enthoo Luxe, and not sure which other case to choose that would support a custom loop and still be appealing to me. This is my current build but I can't decide what to take off, lower the amount or etc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.89 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ NCIX) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($81.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($394.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($169.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.95 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $1448.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-23 21:31 EST-0500

I read it somewhere in Tom's hardware when I was looking up difference between each brand can't say if it's true or not, as for PSU wise I read it in this forum that they are good 

ugh, I came here from toms hardware. You should trust the people here wayyy more

ugh, I came here from toms hardware. You should trust the people here wayyy more

Yeaaahh that's what I thought too, that's generally why I'm asking the community before making a decision, as it's almost time for me to order all my parts and start up a build log :P 

Galax Hall Of Fame 970

Yeaaahh that's what I thought too, that's generally why I'm asking the community before making a decision, as it's almost time for me to order all my parts and start up a build log :P

ye, but anyways I can't wait to see your build log! Good luck with the build :)

ye, but anyways I can't wait to see your build log! Good luck with the build :)

Thanks, appreciate it :D, though got any recommendations? Just to ask since you are here xD 

I have thought of removing a SSD & changing 16GB to 8GB to make the price below $13.00 but the sad truth is I have never used a SSD before and heard magnificent things about it D: need to see the difference in one </3

Sadlyfe for the ones who always bought these overpriced computers from nearby retailers T__T 

Galax Hall Of Fame 970

Why you are telling that you picked modular PSU for further upgrade to SLI? You can buy non-modular PSU now, and it will handle SLI later, (and it may be cheaper).

I might misunderstood you though (BTW, I have updated my last post with a link I forgot :) ).

Edit: You may also think about not to throwing SSD out of your build, but HDD, and add HDD later. But of course it won't reduce price this much, but also won't reduce performance and you will not have to install OS again if you buy SSD now and HDD later.

Why you are telling that you picked modular PSU for further upgrade to SLI? You can buy non-modular PSU now, and it will handle SLI later, (and it may be cheaper).

I might misunderstood you though (BTW, I have updated my last post with a link I forgot :) ).

Edit: You may also think about not to throwing SSD out of your build, but HDD, and add HDD later. But of course it won't reduce price this much, but also won't reduce performance and you will not have to install OS again if you buy SSD now and HDD later.

Well I have thought about going for a non-modular but would it be good enough for a custom loop later on?

Yeah i saw the link, thanks :D 

Yeah that's what I thought as well, to put aside the HDD for now and just stay with the SSD 

Galax Hall Of Fame 970

Modular PSU gives you only that you can put some cables away, as far as I know there is no modularity in way you can add more power to PSU, so if you buy modular 750W it will be 750W no matter what, you're not able to upgrade power of the PSU (AFAIK again).

But if you mean by SLI that you will put there 2 GPUs - 750W is surely enough to handle it, I would say there will be room left, not sure how much water pump is taking.

Edit: I'm now more than sure that modular doesn't means that you can add power to PSU.

A modular power supply is a relatively new approach to cabling, allowing users to omit unused cables. Whereas a conventional design has numerous cables permanently connected to the power supply, a modular power supply provides connectors at the power supply end, allowing unused cables to be detached from the power supply, producing less clutter, a neater appearance and less interference with airflow. It also makes it possible to supply a wider variety of cables, providing different lengths of Serial ATA power connectors instead of Molex connectors.

While modular cabling can help reduce case clutter, they have often been criticized for creating electrical resistance. Some third party websites that do power supply testing have confirmed that the quality of the connector, the age of the connector, the number of times it was inserted/removed, and various other variables such as dust can all raise resistance. However, the amount of this resistance in a good connector is small compared to the resistance generated by the length of the wire itself.