New GTX 980/970 no signal issues

rip4lv

Hi. New here. Wanted to use an opportunity to exchange information in this tehcnical forum regarding problems with new GTX 970 and also 980 models. The problem is that new models have random problems with graphic ports giving no signal to monitors. It could be DP, DVI-I, DVI-D. And it is not vendor related. At the moment there are reports from EVGA, GIGABYTE (G1 gaming) and ASUS STRIX.

1) Is anybody here aware of this?

2) Have You heared about any solutions?

3) Have You heard anything from vendors or NVIDIA regarding this issue?

I have read of someone having this problem, but I wouldn't fear buying a new gpu. RMA doesn't take terribly long (From Newegg at least)

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

1) No, I wasn't aware, most people's GTX 900 series cards seem to be fine. :o

2) Nope, because I wasn't aware there was even a problem. ;)

3) Do I have to repeat myself? :huh:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

1) No, I wasn't aware, most people's GTX 900 series cards seem to be fine. :o

2) Nope, because I wasn't aware there was even a problem. ;)

3) Do I have to repeat myself? :huh:

No, You dont have to  :D

I have read of someone having this problem, but I wouldn't fear buying a new gpu. RMA doesn't take terribly long (From Newegg at least)

I m not form USA, Im in Europe - Latvia. And warranty return can be up to a month. I can deal with reseller that they change it, but since I am worried about its global nature, I have no guarantee, that I will recive working one. Here are some Internet resources, taht depict this:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/785607/geforce-900-series/i-found-the-solution-for-my-gtx-970-no-displayport-signal-issue-/?offset=15#4355640

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19601491?pi21953=24

My purpose of post was to find more information about resolving this issue from vendors or NVIDIA side. I thought maybe here are people who would know more.

No, You dont have to.  :D

Phew! Good. Because I hate to. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hi. New here. Wanted to use an opportunity to exchange information in this tehcnical forum regarding problems with new GTX 970 and also 980 models. The problem is that new models have random problems with graphic ports giving no signal to monitors. It could be DP, DVI-I, DVI-D. And it is not vendor related. At the moment there are reports from EVGA, GIGABYTE (G1 gaming) and ASUS STRIX.

1) Is anybody here aware of this?

2) Have You heared about any solutions?

3) Have You heard anything from vendors or NVIDIA regarding this issue?

Yeah mine just randomly stopped displaying one day then randomly started to display again like 20 minutes later.

So far so few. Could it be difference in market groups EUROPE/USA? Although DELL customers are mainly USA based right?

i can confirm it's real...and i had to RMA my gpu because of this..i just used it only for 2 days and then suddenly the screen is black and no signal...restarting pc..it always goes to black screen after windows login..but i can run in safe mode with no problem..too bad tho..

mine is Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, and i change to Inno 3D Airboss now..hopefully this card not like that

and for solutions..there is no solutions for this problem..even Nvidia can't make sure what cause of this problem..i saw somewhere in nvidia forums..u can google it..

Actualy, I arranged with my dealer to swap cards (for the same model - gigabyte g1 gamin) to exclude random faulty card. And the problem is exactly the same. So at this point there can be two reasons: 1) compatibility problems with my equipement (asus sabertooth p67) (and this could also mean mobo firmware, wich is no longer supported i guess) or 2) software/firmware issue in videocard, that hopefully could be resolved in future.

Unfortunately I dont have a simple way to test my card in another pc to exclude or confirm the first possibility, but it looks like I will have to. 

Actualy, I arranged with my dealer to swap cards (for the same model - gigabyte g1 gamin) to exclude random faulty card. And the problem is exactly the same. So at this point there can be two reasons: 1) compatibility problems with my equipement (asus sabertooth p67) (and this could also mean mobo firmware, wich is no longer supported i guess) or 2) software/firmware issue in videocard, that hopefully could be resolved in future.

Unfortunately I dont have a simple way to test my card in another pc to exclude or confirm the first possibility, but it looks like I will have to.

Check out my rig, I have a completely up to date build but it happened to me. Luckily i have two screens, because it only dissapeared on my main screen. I opened up task manager on my second screen, disabled all nvidia services i saw, then restarted my computer. No problems since.

What I managed to find out is when i switched my main screen to HDMI - projector, and then pluged my DELL monitor to DP, I finaly saw what WIndows THINKS about all this. It recognizes the device and model corectly but refuses to give any resolution or do any configuration with it. This happens only to one of the three DPs, witch is most close to HDMI, but the other two are completely silent and have no reaction to plugged in DP cable.

And yes. Your rig is miles AHEAD from mine :)- And jet - it has issues. This clearly states, that there is still something wrong with the new 900 series firmware or software globaly!

• 5 months later...

Is this a dead topic ? I thought it would be more alive than this. I got my MSI GTX 980 a while back(January) and just now tried to plug my TV in through the HDMI-port on the GFX.

No signal, when I try the very same cable and TV with my laptop's HDMI-port it works instantly.

I've tried Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview. No luck. What happens is that Windows keeps saying theres only 1 screen attached, my main monitor through DisplayPort. When I look in the nVidia control panel it also states that only DisplayPort is used, even tho the HDMI-cabel is clearly plugged in and the TV is on(showing no signal).

Before I bought my GTX 980 I had a Asus GTX 760OC, and I used it frequently with my TV through the HDMI-port, the same cable and TV as I'm trying with now.

Since it's been a while someone here brought any news on the topic I thought I'd ask for help here.