PSU or Motherboard?

CostcoSamples

Alright, got a question for you guys.  A few months ago I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, ram and added an SSD.  The system randomly lost power a few times, which killed my SSD.  I got a new one under warranty, then the new one got bricked too.  Thinking it must be the old PSU (was nearly 5 years old) I bought a new PSU (Fractal Design Newton R3 600w, 80+ Platinum) hoping that would solve the issue, but I never installed the third new SSD, just in case.  the system has run reasonably well since, with the exception of occasional power loss while in sleep mode.  The system then refuses to power back on using the on button.  The system will power on again if I switch the PSU off/on then hit the power button again.

My brother also bought this exact same PSU for his rig at the same time.  His PSU died completely after two months, he got it replaced under warranty.  Faulty PSU seems unlikely, but seeing his fail does not give me confidence in the PSU.

Also, perhaps completely unrelated, or perhaps not, I have gone through 4 (yes FOUR) Steel Series Rival mice in two months!  The fourth one is now starting to show the same problems as the first 3.

what is more likely - A) the PSU is putting out some weird current that is causing my mice to die and occasional power loss during sleep mode.  or B) there is a problem with the motherboard which is killing my mice and leading to occasional power loss during sleep mode.

what do you guys think?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

It should be covered under manufacturer warranty (Gigabyte) since less than one year old... I hate sending parts in for RMA, I need this machine for work! Oh well, maybe I'll send in the PSU too, just in case. That way I can get both parts checked at the same time.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Since you got a new PSU, and the problem still exists, it must be your motherboard. If it's under warranty, get it RMA'ed.

This ^

Fractal Design is a trustworthy brand, so two of them being faulty would be exceedingly unlikely. Either your motherboard is being naughty, or there's something wrong with the electrical wiring in the house and that's causing problems with the PSUs and thus with everything else.

Oh, also, what are your system specs? (just wondering if 600W would be enough).

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-