Radiator calculation

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a bit confused when it comes to trying to calculate how much radiator i should add since i will be adding a GTX 970 into my now CPU-only loop.

I currently have an "Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm"-rad(FPI is 14/ LxWxH = 278 x 125 x 30 mm) and it came delivered with 2 1300rpm fans(no brand on them).

Currently only my i7-3770k(stock-clocks / intel TDP given is 77) is cooled by the loop but i would like to add a EVGA GTX 970 to it which apparently has a TDP of 145.

Which would make for a rough TDP of 222W, i guess its +- something though.

My problem is most threads seem to point to skinneelabs which seems to me is kinda dead(last rad review 2012) and the only other pretty usable thing i found is in tomshardware's sticky a rough estimate calculation for 2000rpm fans ((LxWxH) x 0.00023129193 = Watts dissipated for 10°C delta-T (estimated)).

Now my question is if it is possible for me to roughly estimate the needed radiatorsize (currently I'm thinking of adding another 120mm ST30 but no idea if that is enough(FPI 14)).

Or is there even a way to modify the 0.00023129193 so that they apply for 1300rpm fans? I really like the equation i just don't want to have 2000rpm fans in my case as i imagine them to be pretty loud.

Thanks in advance for the help

-Zaros

It's a basically the more radiator space you have the more potential cooling you can achieve, for the 30mm thick 240mm rad it will work fine with the GTX970 and 3770K but to reach the temperature you want you'll have to either increase the fan speeds or have more radiators to keep at a lower speed and lower noise level. If you could I would add in an extra 240mm radiator since they usually give the most value for size and give great performance.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a bit confused when it comes to trying to calculate how much radiator i should add since i will be adding a GTX 970 into my now CPU-only loop.

I currently have an "Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm"-rad(FPI is 14/ LxWxH = 278 x 125 x 30 mm) and it came delivered with 2 1300rpm fans(no brand on them).

Currently only my i7-3770k(stock-clocks / intel TDP given is 77) is cooled by the loop but i would like to add a EVGA GTX 970 to it which apparently has a TDP of 145.

My problem is most threads seem to point to skinneelabs which seems to me is kinda dead(last rad review 2012) and the only other pretty usable thing i found is in tomshardware's sticky a rough estimate calculation for 2000rpm fans ((LxWxH) x 0.00023129193 = Watts dissipated for 10°C delta-T (estimated)).

Now my question is if it is possible for me to roughly estimate the needed radiatorsize (currently I'm thinking of adding another 120mm ST30 but no idea if that is enough(FPI 14)).

Or is there even a way to modify the 0.00023129193 so that they apply for 1300rpm fans? I really like the equation i just don't want to have 2000rpm fans in my case as i imagine them to be pretty loud.

-Zaros

your rad size is fine for now but i would recommend at least another 120 in the future if you want to overclock your cpu

--------------

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Depends on what temps you're going for. If you want super low temps you need to add enough rad space to dissipate a good bit of the heat of the GTX 970. 

A 360 ST30 with good fans would have you covered for this.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Hello everyone,

-Zaros

It's a basically the more radiator space you have the more potential cooling you can achieve, for the 30mm thick 240mm rad it will work fine with the GTX970 and 3770K but to reach the temperature you want you'll have to either increase the fan speeds or have more radiators to keep at a lower speed and lower noise level. If you could I would add in an extra 240mm radiator since they usually give the most value for size and give great performance.

Thanks for the answers!

I for my current cases loop 4.0 i will add a single fan rad for the exhaust just to be sure :)

I am however considering a caseswitch after this because i kinda fell in love with the phanteks enthoo luxe haha xD

The choice with that case wont be hard because of the holy cow of options that case delivers. i will definitly use a 420 rad with that one 8D

A small question on the side though, would it be okay to keep the other two rads while keeping my single Laing DDC-1T Plus running or how do i calculate how many components i can have with a single pump or when to jump to a double pump setup?

-Zaros