When I OC, my CPU voltage goes up to 1.525 by itself

Hi!
I've encountered yet another problem while trying to OC my CPU.
When I go into BIOS to change the multiplier manually so that my clock speed is 4.5Ghz my voltage automatically goes from 1.3 to 1.525. :o
The thing is that I can't change the voltage manually, it's a grey and un-clickable area.
I have the latest BIOS updates.

My cpu/mobo:
AMD Athlon II x4 760K

MSI A88XM-E35 FM2+

Hi!

I've encountered yet another problem while trying to OC my CPU.

When I go into BIOS to change the multiplier manually so that my clock speed is 4.5Ghz my voltage automatically goes from 1.3 to 1.525. :o

The thing is that I can't change the voltage manually, it's a grey and un-clickable area.

I have the latest BIOS updates.

My cpu/mobo:

AMD Athlon II x4 760K

MSI A88XM-E35 FM2+

There's an option for adaptive voltage somewhere. Have to set that to manual.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

I found this quote "The next stage would be better organization of the overclock options in the BIOS, however MSI has disabled voltage control on this motherboard. This is probably due to the low cost nature of the system." from here. Check your temps to see if they are good under load at 1.525v by running a program like prime95. If they are getting close to Tj Max (if you have a dedicated GPU, leave around 10 degrees for the heat kicked up by that) you should think about getting a better cpu cooler or another motherboard.

Thanks,

Luke

Edit: If I were you, I would wait until I get a better mobo before overclocking, because usually cheap mobos have worse power delivery, bridge cooling and signal generating functions. For short term you could, but personally I wouldn't overclock to far.

Spoiler

AMD 8320 with Noctua NH-D15|ASrock Fatallity Killer 990fx|Sapphire Tri-X R9 290|8gb HyperX Fury Black 1866 MHz|Thermaltake 850W Gold|NZXT H440|Logitech G19s||R.A.T 9|Razer Vespula|Astro A50|Corsair Voyager GT 64 gb

Comp overclocker - Tinkerer - I thoroughly enjoy putting 12v into things that say 5v

There's an option for adaptive voltage somewhere. Have to set that to manual.

Not according to the review linked below. :(

I found this quote "The next stage would be better organization of the overclock options in the BIOS, however MSI has disabled voltage control on this motherboard. This is probably due to the low cost nature of the system." from here. Check your temps to see if they are good under load at 1.525v by running a program like prime95. If they are getting close to Tj Max (if you have a dedicated GPU, leave around 10 degrees for the heat kicked up by that) you should think about getting a better cpu cooler or another motherboard.

Thanks,

Luke

Edit: If I were you, I would wait until I get a better mobo before overclocking, because usually cheap mobos have worse power delivery, bridge cooling and signal generating functions. For short term you could, but personally I wouldn't overclock to far.

Under prime95 my temps goes through the roof.

Kinda sucks that I need to get a new motherboard :mellow:

Guess I have to settle with 4.1Ghz at 1.375v till I get a new rig

Thanks for the quick answers guys!