Need some advice for setting up dual monitors

I have a ASUS VG248QE 144Hz monitor that came with a dual-link DVI cable. My mobo (ASRock Z97 Extreme6) only has one DVI port. I also have an older monitor that I'm wanting to use that has DVI, but no HDMI. I've been told that if I use the HDMI with my 144Hz monitor, I will only see 60Hz. 

So, to get the benefits of the 144Hz I'll need to use the dual-link DVI from my 144Hz to my mobo? Then I can hook a DVI to HDMI cable to my low quality monitor and plug the HDMI into my mobo? Is there a better setup? Is it true that you won't get all the benefits of 144Hz unless you use the DVI cable?

Thanks in advance for your input.

you can easily test and see, but yes, you dont want HDMI

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

I have a ASUS VG248QE 144Hz monitor that came with a dual-link DVI cable. My mobo (ASRock Z97 Extreme6) only has one DVI port. I also have an older monitor that I'm wanting to use that has DVI, but no HDMI. I've been told that if I use the HDMI with my 144Hz monitor, I will only see 60Hz. 

So, to get the benefits of the 144Hz I'll need to use the dual-link DVI from my 144Hz to my mobo? Then I can hook a DVI to HDMI cable to my low quality monitor and plug the HDMI into my mobo? Is there a better setup? Is it true that you won't get all the benefits of 144Hz unless you use the DVI cable?

Thanks in advance for your input.

The HDMI to DVI cable will work for the older monitor.

Ahm, shouldn't your GPU have more than one DVI? You won't see any use in your monitor without a proper GPU.

[i figure it's for gaming as there is no other reason to buy that monitor]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

The HDMI to DVI cable will work for the older monitor.

Ahm, shouldn't your GPU have more than one DVI? You won't see any use in your monitor without a proper GPU.

[i figure it's for gaming as there is no other reason to buy that monitor]

Yes, my GPU is triple monitor ready. I suppose I'll use the dual-link DVI for the 144Hz monitor and a DVI to HDMI for my lower quality monitor.