Total OC noob needs help... alot of it... :P

Tro

I thought about it and it all seems alot of work for a little better performance.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it.

In regards to performance increase if I didn't already say it in this thread well I will share results I get over the next long while doing benchmarks and show you what I gained.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

In regards to performance increase if I didn't already say it in this thread well I will share results I get over the next long while doing benchmarks and show you what I gained.

yeah i'm still wondering what can be done. Thanks :)

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

24 hours of Prime 95 at 4.51 GHz at 1.380 volts doing the harshest cpu test and no errors.  I see that during the testing it went up to 1.428 volts maximum and went down to a 1.308 volts minimum.  If anyone can explain the fluctuations and why they occur it would be appreciated.  Unfortunately there is no information on how long those lasted.  Anyway ... bottom line ... it looks like this AMD FX 6300 is good for 4.51 GHz.  Next thing to do is try to run it with less voltage and finish Prime 95 24 hr run at 4.51 GHz with no errors.

Tro let me say that at 4 GHz is easily reachable.  Just change the multiplier to 40 in your BIOS and monitor temps and if you get a blue screen ever just reboot and change it back to what it was before.  PC hardware takes quite a bit of abuse to screw it up.  I am not a big time overclocker and have always overclocked on air and I have never had a cpu or video card die on me.  

Tro let me say that at 4 GHz is easily reachable.  Just change the multiplier to 40 in your BIOS and monitor temps and if you get a blue screen ever just reboot and change it back to what it was before.  PC hardware takes quite a bit of abuse to screw it up.  I am not a big time overclocker and have always overclocked on air and I have never had a cpu or video card die on me.  

SO all i have to do is change the multiplier to 40? I feel like i can do that. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

SO all i have to do is change the multiplier to 40? I feel like i can do that. 

Monitor temps with an application like HW Monitor though so you are not totally blindly overclocking.

Monitor temps with an application like HW Monitor though so you are not totally blindly overclocking.

So i have to set the Multiplier to 40, then boot and quickly check the temps? Or check the temps in the bios?

So i have to set the Multiplier to 40, then boot and quickly check the temps? Or check the temps in the bios?

The only way to check temps in Windows is with some sort of hardware monitoring software so before you do this overclock look for something.  Now yes I have seen people do overclocks before where they set the multiplier to whatever and run it for awhile and then quickly restart the computer and go into the BIOS and check the temps there.  Heck if you want run Prime95 and run a torture test for 5 minutes using one of the first two tests listed (Small FFTs or In-place Large FFTs) and then after it is done and shows no errors quickly restart the computer and go into the BIOS and check the temps.  Still it would be much easier to just run Prime95 for 5 minutes and then watch the temps with HW Monitor as it does the testing.  Don't be afraid as this is a real simple process.

Remember companies would not have unlocked processors available to us if they didn't want us to overclock them.

The only way to check temps in Windows is with some sort of hardware monitoring software so before you do this overclock look for something.  Now yes I have seen people do overclocks before where they set the multiplier to whatever and run it for awhile and then quickly restart the computer and go into the BIOS and check the temps there.  Heck if you want run Prime95 and run a torture test for 5 minutes using one of the first two tests listed (Small FFTs or In-place Large FFTs) and then after it is done and shows no errors quickly restart the computer and go into the BIOS and check the temps.  Still it would be much easier to just run Prime95 for 5 minutes and then watch the temps with HW Monitor as it does the testing.  Don't be afraid as this is a real simple process.

Remember companies would not have unlocked processors available to us if they didn't want us to overclock them.

Okay, got it. I'll try it right now, Let's see how this goes! :)

Well for me I decided to start a new 24 hr run of Prime95 with the voltage setting taken down .025 more.  The Vcore in the BIOS fluctuates from a low of 1.356 volts to 1.368 volts and it is doing the same thing in HW Monitor.  Now in the BIOS for my stable 4.51 GHz overclock it now reads as 1.392 volts permanently (appears to be that way) whereas it was set to run at 1.380 volts during testing. The 1.392 volts reading was the maximum I got running Prime95 for 24 hrs so interesting ....

Anyway hope this goes well as less volts with the same overclock stable = more win.  

I think my bios works differently?

There is no 40 multiplier and 31 is like 6ghz. Can I choose any from the list in the pic? Do I choose the X20 one with 4ghz?

post-18844-0-19653000-1409260510_thumb.j

You have it right.  Choose the x20.0 multiplier and as for my settings on my Gigabyte motherboard for the AMD FX 6300 well I have been jumping back and forth between AMD and Intel in my work in recent days dealing with my Intel pc also so I may have gotten numbers confused but not confused on what you should do.  You need to change the CPU frequency multiplier.  Save settings and try to get into Windows.  Then download and run Prime95 torture test with Small FFTs for 5 minutes and see if you get no errors.

Btw now on the Intel pc of mine.  The AMD based pc is hands off for the next 24 hrs pretty much. LOL

You have it right.  Choose the x20.0 multiplier and as for my settings on my motherboard I have been jumping back and forth between AMD and Intel so I may have gotten numbers confused but not what you should do.  You need to change the CPU frequency multiplier.  Save settings and try to get into Windows.

The temps look good. PC booted good, no problems as far as i can tell.

post-18844-0-96791500-1409261307.png

post-18844-0-76944100-1409261500.png

Remember a pc can boot into Windows and have the overclock not be stable at all.  If you look back at my first try at 4.51 GHz and really low voltages it booted into Windows just fine but when I ran the stress test Prime95 it buggered up right away and I had to give the cpu more juice (volts) to get it running proper.  Seriously download Prime95 and run it a short time with torture test and small FFTs set.  It can't hurt.  Also in regards to your current overclock if anything goes wrong you can just go back into the BIOS and change it back.  Question though is there a way to save profiles in your BIOS?  I found out the other day I could and started doing that.  I save my stable overclock profile settings.  I forget how many profiles I can save but it was quite a bit.

Remember a pc can boot into Windows and have the overclock not be stable at all.  If you look back at my first try at 4.51 GHz and really low voltages it booted into Windows just fine but when I ran the stress test Prime95 it buggered up right away and I had to give the cpu more juice (volts) to get it running proper.  Seriously download Prime95 and run it a short time with torture test and small FFTs set.  It can't hurt.  Also in regards to your current overclock if anything goes wrong you can just go back into the BIOS and change it back.  Question though is there a way to save profiles in your BIOS?  I found out the other day I could and started doing that.  I save my stable overclock profile settings.  I forget how many profiles I can save but it was quite a bitRun

Running Prime95 now.... And i can save 4 profiles i think. One question, Is it safe to slowly increase the mulitplier to higher clock speeds? If so i'd probably go until like 4.3Ghz or something, If it's stable ofcourse.

Edit: Prime95 is done and the CPU is super stable, no problems at all, stays under 51 degrees at all times. I'm going to bed now, gonna see what i can do tomorrow :) night.

Running Prime95 now.... And i can save 4 profiles i think. One question, Is it safe to slowly increase the mulitplier to higher clock speeds? If so i'd probably go until like 4.3Ghz or something, If it's stable ofcourse.

Edit: Prime95 is done and the CPU is super stable, no problems at all, stays under 51 degrees at all times. I'm going to bed now, gonna see what i can do tomorrow :) night.

Remember that a 5 minute test is not a recommended way to overclock and since you don't want to spend loads of time doing this in terms of testing I say keep the 4 GHz overclock for some time and use it and if it starts blue screening or acting strange just let me and others know here.  However if you want to do it the right way when you are not using the pc run Prime95 then.  Heck run it all night while you sleep.  If you do that now it will get a good amount of time tested and it would be a more proper test.

Remember that a 5 minute test is not a recommended way to overclock and since you don't want to spend loads of time doing this in terms of testing I say keep the 4 GHz overclock for some time and use it and if it starts blue screening or acting strange just let me and others know here. However if you want to do it the right way when you are not using the pc run Prime95 then. Heck run it all night while you sleep. If you do that now it will get a good amount of time tested and it would be a more proper test.

My pc is next to my bed, can't have it running :)

My pc is next to my bed, can't have it running :)

So you are a light sleeper?  PC is really loud?  I have no problem falling asleep with the thing chugging out heat and noise when on.

So you are a light sleeper? PC is really loud? I have no problem falling asleep with the thing chugging out heat and noise when on.

I can sleep with it, but can't fall asleep.

Ok so 24 hrs is up and my son's AMD FX 6300 at 4.51 GHz at a slightly lower voltage (1.356 volts low and 1.368 volts high) passed the Prime95 test.  Yay!  Now no more overclocking work for the rest of the weekend I think unless I just do some overnight for shorter amounts of time as I have things to download to this pc and also my 5.1s are hooked up to this pc so want to listen to some music on this thing too so yeah.

So Tro any news on how your oc is doing?  Do any further testing?

Ok so 24 hrs is up and my son's AMD FX 6300 at 4.51 GHz at a slightly lower voltage (1.356 volts low and 1.368 volts high) passed the Prime95 test.  Yay!  Now no more overclocking work for the rest of the weekend I think unless I just do some overnight for shorter amounts of time as I have things to download to this pc and also my 5.1s are hooked up to this pc so want to listen to some music on this thing too so yeah.

So Tro any news on how your oc is doing?  Do any further testing?

Awesome :)

I'm currently RMA'ing my 280x, so i'm using my back up PC, so no overclocking for now :(

Awesome :)

I'm currently RMA'ing my 280x, so i'm using my back up PC, so no overclocking for now :(

What happened with the 280x?  Also did it cost you to RMA it or was it covered by the company you bought it from?  Also just another question which is what is the power supply in your pc?  I don't see it listed.

What happened with the 280x?  Also did it cost you to RMA it or was it covered by the company you bought it from?  Also just another question which is what is the power supply in your pc?  I don't see it listed.

This happened: 

I can send the 280x back to the webstore, and they'll send me a new one if they see the problem.

My PSU is the Seasonic  S12II 620W.

Well sorry to hear about the video card having issues.  As for the SeaSonic psu would love to have one but none were that affordable when I was looking at psus.  They tend to be an expensive brand but of course of high quality.  I believe with the systems in my household I have an Antec, XFX and a CoolerMaster psu.  The CoolerMaster despite not being a brand I would buy now for a psu has had no issues in my son's socket 775 system.  As for the XFX psu I know it rated well and was made for them by a reputable company and they just have their name stamped on it. 

Well sorry to hear about the video card having issues.  As for the SeaSonic psu would love to have one but none were that affordable when I was looking at psus.  They tend to be an expensive brand but of course of high quality.  I believe with the systems in my household I have an Antec, XFX and a CoolerMaster psu.  The CoolerMaster despite not being a brand I would buy now for a psu has had no issues in my son's socket 775 system.  As for the XFX psu I know it rated well and was made for them by a reputable company and they just have their name stamped on it. 

Yeah my PSU has no features at all, not modular, no silent mode, nothing, but alteast the quality inside is worth the cost.