Laptop around 1000-1200$

jhajhria

Hello everyone. i am new to this forum. loved the YouTube channel. so decided to join this forum as well. 

i will be buying new laptop and desktop soon. laptop sooner so this is request for giving me some ideas for laptop.

My requirements

CPU: No i3. should be i5 or i7 (if AMD fits my requirements better then you can suggest that as well)

HDD: 1Tb will be enought ( can never say no to more space though)

SSD i would love to have it if it fits the budget and if its capacity will be enough to handle the programs. for other stuff will be using                     HDD. should not break the budget

Graphic cards: Should have a dedicated graphic cards as i am sure that it will be needed for my work.

Screen size : i don't want 17" laptop. 14" and 15" is the only practical size according to me. 

full HD screen is perfect for me. going above that resolution is bit unnecessary but not a deal breaker

Touch screen is nor my requirement so its optional (doubt i will even get touch screen in such buget)

RAM: need 8GB RAM atleast and an option to upgrade. if the laptop has 4GB RAM then don't worry i will upgrade it after a month or two. but upgrade option should at least be upto 16Gb.

Brands: always used lenovo laptops and it is my fav brand. ready to switch brand if it means good specs for good price. will give other brands a shot if people here recommend it.

Now most important part. My usage.

i am a budding android developer. so i will be using it for developing apps and ROMs. (building ROMs needs a performance beast)

i will also be using it to edit videos. 

using Photoshop

making projects in different computer languages and website development 

not a hardcore gamer. i hardly go into gamer mode and even if do i play games just for few weeks in one year. games like half life, NFS, etc and i don't mind playing the games at normal settings. not a must requirement for me that games should be able to work well under all the highest settings. 

like i said i will be buying new desktop as well but that will be next year. i am in merchant navy and soon will be joining ship. will come back home after one year. so will assemble an awesome desktop after getting recommendation from this forum members. which will eventually turn into my workstation and then this laptop will be rarely used for android development and video editing.  

I have no idea which country my ship will be going to could be north america or south america or any part of the world but it will not be INDIA. so dollar rates work fine for me as i will be getting paid in dollars. 

BUDGET 1000-1200$ but if its a better machine in 1300$ then that the max that i can go for. 1300$ is after stretching my budget to far. 

will be buying in October. so of any new laptop coming around that time or in November then i can wait. it will increase my budget too.  But i will be buying in November no matter what's coming in December. 

Lenovo Y50: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Start at $1100, for $40 more you can get a 1TB of storage (ignore the 3rd tier) if you go for the fourth tier you get extra 2GB of VRAM for a total of $1230.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not the 4k versoin linus reviewed. It's 1080p which means its better (if this confuses you watch the review).

It good.

Lenovo Y50: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Start at $1100, for $40 more you can get a 1TB of storage (ignore the 3rd tier) if you go for the fourth tier you get extra 2GB of VRAM for a total of $1230.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not the 4k versoin linus reviewed. It's 1080p which means its better (if this confuses you watch the review).

It good.

That's what even i am thinking of. But someone suggested xotic laptops on some other forums. So that's y i am asking for advice so that i can choose better.

Don't feel the need for 4k anyway.

Thank you for your feedback

The Lenovo has a notoriously terrible TN display. If you can get past that, then it'll work for you. 

I don't think I could live with it

The Lenovo has a notoriously terrible TN display. If you can get past that, then it'll work for you.

I don't think I could live with it

I have checked that too. Most of the reviews and people say that display can be easily upgraded for less then 100$ so if i go with lenovo Y50 then i will change the display myself after a month or two if i don't like it.

6c86939e18e1d7211e545d6e1bd95c42.jpg

This is what i am talking about. From xotic pc. Under 1200$. Will the specs make much difference in performance?

It has same processor and graphic card but it has 256gb SSD against 8gb. Also it has fingerprint reader which will be useless for me but it is still something, If we compare price against hardware.

Also almost every part of the laptop can be upgraded. I can upgrade processor in future and i can also add additional hard disk as it has extra bay for it. With lenovo i don't get that option. But will be able to go with xotic only if my ship will be going to USA otherwise as far as i am concerned lenovo y50 does seems like the best bet.

Easily upgradeable? Sure. Most LCD screens can be a breeze to replace. But worth it? Well, depends who you're asking. Is it worth the slight risk of damaging something, say the bezel or cable?

I was looking at the MSI GE 60, or GT 70 myself. It's more, but no replacing of a screen because the shipped one is great. Otherwise, similar specs.

I need new laptop way more earlier now. My old one got split into 2 pieces. Screen and other part. :(

I need new laptop way more earlier now. My old one got split into 2 pieces. Screen and other part. :(

The Sager NP7358 you listed looks pretty good. However, Sager laptops from Xotic PC do not come with a copy of Windows by default. You can configure it to come with one for $80, or buy a cheap key from G2A for like $30 and do the install yourself. The NP7358 won't be as thin as the Y50, and I'm unsure which would cool better (thicker laptop with single fan vs. thin laptop with dual fans). Still, the Sager is more upgradeable storage wise, and although I like the Y50's value, I don't care for how you only have one drive bay to work with.

The Sager NP7358 you listed looks pretty good. However, Sager laptops from Xotic PC do not come with a copy of Windows by default. You can configure it to come with one for $80, or buy a cheap key from G2A for like $30 and do the install yourself. The NP7358 won't be as thin as the Y50, and I'm unsure which would cool better (thicker laptop with single fan vs. thin laptop with dual fans). Still, the Sager is more upgradeable storage wise, and although I like the Y50's value, I don't care for how you only have one drive bay to work with.

I already own a genuine windows 8 disk. Will install that as i don't have my old laptop anymore.

I don't think i will be able to wait for sager anymore because of the recent incident. Lets see what future holds. Thanks for your advice on fans. I didn't notice it. Will look into it before making a final decision.