Asus RT-N66U Questions.

Shaqo_Wyn
Go to solution Solved by AMICLG,

Put a 5 GHz after the eSSID on the 5 GHz side other wise it'll likely just connect to the strongest signal which will always be the 2.4 GHz side.

I just got this router and it's all setup and I've been playing around with it for the last 30 minutes.

I've already changed some settings to get the most out of it and everything is fine so far.

I still have some confusion about the whole dual-band business and I'm hoping you guys can clear it up for me.

The main question is: does the router switch between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channel on it's own?

I can set up both channels with different SSID's and passwords but right now I have both channels on the same SSID and password.

Does this mean it'll automatically put my wireless-N device and/or heavy internet usage devices on the 5GHz channel and the ones that don't fit this criteria on the 2.4GHz channel?

Right now I have: a S3, a S4, a blackberry and two wireless-N laptops on it and the router's suites indicates that it has put them all on the 2.4GHz channel.

Thanks for reading and any help you can give me. :)

Shaqo

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Put a 5 GHz after the eSSID on the 5 GHz side other wise it'll likely just connect to the strongest signal which will always be the 2.4 GHz side.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

So just to be clear, you're saying put the 5GHz channel on a seperate SSID and connect the things I want on the 5Ghz channel to it. Right?

So just to be clear, you're saying put the 5GHz channel on a seperate SSID and connect the things I want on the 5Ghz channel to it. Right?

that's what I do for my RT-N66u

within my house, the 5ghz is always faster.

that's what I do for my RT-N66u

within my house, the 5ghz is always faster.

Thanks! That's what I will do. 

Correct just do your normal SSID but with a 5GHz at the end of it for the 5GHz side.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

that's what i do - i have n66 and n66(5GHz)

Anyone know if Packet Prioritisation on one of these works for reducing ping spikes during gaming? I have a slow connection and I've heard it makes more diff on a slow connection.

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe