Difference HMDI & DVI

RaVenBelgium
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Actually, technically speaking, DVI is better than HDMI. But for consumer level, in term of image quality, they are both the same. But Dual-link DVI is superior in terms of color number, refresh rate and/or resolution.

The problem with HDMI is that it has multiple revisions, some revisions have sub revisions, and there is 0 way to identify them. Also, their super high royalty fees on the latest model, makes monitor manufacturers, laptop, and graphic card manufacturers not use the latest version. So it's mess. You might have HDMI 1.4 on the laptop which should support 2560x1600 @ 60Hz, but the GPU doesn't support it, or the monitor doesn't support it, as either uses only 1.3. so you can only 1920x1200 at best. Plus also, you can have incompatibilities where, while they are fixes for these things, in many cases, it's not plug-in and go. The graphic card will not detect the resolution or specification of the monitor properly, so the image will be distorted. You have to manual specify the correct settings. Also, HDMI has no locking system, which is annoying for many people where the plug keeps falling off as they move a bit their computer or monitor. (same for TV's, specially if the plug is vertical, where you have gravity pulling down on the cable).

Also, DVI and DisplayPort, both support more than 8-bit color per channel (red, green, and blue are channels), and also has error correcting bits, ensuring that every pixel is the most accurate as possible at every frame. Of course, both of these features doesn't effect us, as a user. It's more for special equipment, and professionals.

DisplayPort on the other hand, is better than Dual Link DVI. It support a much higher resolution or higher refresh rate, even more colors at higher resolution, carries audio as well, and auxiliary (whatever your graphic card feels like sending in addition of video and audio... like USB or firewire or Ethernet, etc.). If you have DisplayPort 1.2, you can also daisy chain multiple monitors from 1 plug of your graphics card. I believe it's up to 4 monitor at 1920x1200, if I remember correctly. Of course, less monitor at higher resolutions.

Moreover, DisplayPort consumes much less power than HDMI and DVI, has a screw-less latch system, for easy plug-in and out, all by holding strong so it doesn't fall off. And support more plug-in and out before breakage, than DVI and HDMI, Support longer lengths cable than both. In addition, a laptop internal monitor connector version of DisplayPort exists, which consumes even less power than what current standard used. Making it all together, more than perfect and ideal for laptop purposes.

So in summery:

-> DisplayPort > DVI > HDMI > VGA

Which one is best to use for video: HDMI or DVI? The only thing I know is that HDMI also sends an audio signal...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Dual-Link DVI monitors, for instance, support 120/144Hz refresh rates whereas HDMI doesn't with all the monitors I've seen. HDMI does carry an audio signal though, unlike DVI (which shouldn't be an issue since most of us are probably using speakers/headphones without it anyway),

In terms of image quality, they're both identical. The differences become very apparent though when one version of a type of cable doesn't provide enough bandwidth to support, say, a 4K panel.

They're both basically the same in terms of signal except that DVI doesn't carry any audio signal so if you use a DVI to HDMI connector you'll need to plug your headphones or speakers into your case instead.

Single Link DVI only supports 1920 x 1200 while Dual Link DVI supports up to 2560 x 1600.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I'm mostly a FPS gamer and I don't use headphones, so DVI-D is the best option for me?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

I use hdmi right now but thats because im using a PS3 and my monitor doesnt have dvi :(

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I'm mostly a FPS gamer and I don't use headphones, so DVI-D is the best option for me?

Depends on what monitor you have.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

Do your monitors have speakers built into them(TV Style) or audio passthroughs?

If not going for D-Link DVI is the better choice for it supports higher resolutions than HDMI.

AFAIK displayport supports up to 4K res at 30Hz

Depends on what monitor you have.

Triple ASUS MX239H's

Actually, technically speaking, DVI is better than HDMI. But for consumer level, in term of image quality, they are both the same. But Dual-link DVI is superior in terms of color number, refresh rate and/or resolution.

The problem with HDMI is that it has multiple revisions, some revisions have sub revisions, and there is 0 way to identify them. Also, their super high royalty fees on the latest model, makes monitor manufacturers, laptop, and graphic card manufacturers not use the latest version. So it's mess. You might have HDMI 1.4 on the laptop which should support 2560x1600 @ 60Hz, but the GPU doesn't support it, or the monitor doesn't support it, as either uses only 1.3. so you can only 1920x1200 at best. Plus also, you can have incompatibilities where, while they are fixes for these things, in many cases, it's not plug-in and go. The graphic card will not detect the resolution or specification of the monitor properly, so the image will be distorted. You have to manual specify the correct settings. Also, HDMI has no locking system, which is annoying for many people where the plug keeps falling off as they move a bit their computer or monitor. (same for TV's, specially if the plug is vertical, where you have gravity pulling down on the cable).

Also, DVI and DisplayPort, both support more than 8-bit color per channel (red, green, and blue are channels), and also has error correcting bits, ensuring that every pixel is the most accurate as possible at every frame. Of course, both of these features doesn't effect us, as a user. It's more for special equipment, and professionals.

DisplayPort on the other hand, is better than Dual Link DVI. It support a much higher resolution or higher refresh rate, even more colors at higher resolution, carries audio as well, and auxiliary (whatever your graphic card feels like sending in addition of video and audio... like USB or firewire or Ethernet, etc.). If you have DisplayPort 1.2, you can also daisy chain multiple monitors from 1 plug of your graphics card. I believe it's up to 4 monitor at 1920x1200, if I remember correctly. Of course, less monitor at higher resolutions.

Moreover, DisplayPort consumes much less power than HDMI and DVI, has a screw-less latch system, for easy plug-in and out, all by holding strong so it doesn't fall off. And support more plug-in and out before breakage, than DVI and HDMI, Support longer lengths cable than both. In addition, a laptop internal monitor connector version of DisplayPort exists, which consumes even less power than what current standard used. Making it all together, more than perfect and ideal for laptop purposes.

So in summery:

-> DisplayPort > DVI > HDMI > VGA

are we seriously going to start comparing the power consumption of ports now?

are we seriously going to start comparing the power consumption of ports now?

As I explained, for most people, it doesn't mater, and won't notice anything.

A lot of the DisplayPort advantages are for laptops and tablets.