Nvidia's latest WHQL driver pulls CUDA encoding support?

Askew

official driver release thread

CUDA Toolkit release notes

thread highlighting the topic

Well I just discovered this today (that Nvidia have officially removed support for an aspect of CUDA) because I can't use CUDA acceleration in my editing program anymore, I don't understand it and need someone with better knowledge than me to explain it.

CUDA no longer shows up in some video editing programs that allow you to use the GPU to assist with the encode, I went to find out why and it seems that as of 340 drivers, support for CUDA encoding under the NVCUVENC API has been pulled and NVENC API is where support has shifted.

This seems to mean that if your encoding software doesn't support NVENC then you need to use a modded (or older) driver to continue using CUDA acceleration.

It also seems that NVENC only supports 600 series GPUs and up, so I'm not sure what will happen to those guys using 580s to render.

What does this mean for me as someone who uses my GPU to assist with encoding video? I never had to know anything about an API I just selected the 'CUDA acceleration' feature in my editing program.