Syncing iOS contacts with Google before switching to Android

So I'll be switching to Android in a week or two and obviously I don't want to lose my contacts. I did some research and found that the easiest way is to sync with Gmail, which I did, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I added my Gmail account in the mail settings and made sure Contacts was on so they would sync. I then opened the Contacts app to start the sync progress but I have no idea if it's even working. When I press Groups in the top left of the contacts app, all my contacts are under iCloud. When I click only my gmail account to see what's synced with it instead of iCloud, ifs completely blank. Any ideas? I don't want to get my new phone, sign in with Google, and have no contacts! I don't know what else I should try. I could try importing via iTunes but I'm on vacation and don't have access to my PC until I come back.

try opening contacts and tapping groups then tapping the thing that says icloud and changing it to google or gmail. i am not an iphone user so i cannot test. that is how it works on my htc. hope this helps and if it does not, then sorry for wasting your time.