Mantle vs DX11 - Thief

thebennyboy

Now, i thought i would give a general Mantle benchmark of Thief to see how it compared to running it using DX11. I had a fairly decent increase in performance. Here are my results.

Average FPS with Mantle: 53.6
Average FPS without Mantle: 41.5

Average FPS percentage increase: 29.2%

Screenshots:

Thief_Mantle.png

Originals (just encase anyone accuses of editing etc.):

With Mantle: 

With_Mantle_Thief.png

Without Mantle:

Without_Mantle_Thief.png

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Were you expecting this to be a surprise? Of course Mantle would beat DX11. 

Were you expecting this to be a surprise? Of course Mantle would beat DX11. 

Where did i say i was surprised? I am just posting it so people can see in the real world that it still can make pretty significant difference.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Where did i say i was surprised? I am just posting it so people can see in the real world that it still can make pretty significant difference.

You are reiterating what people could have found elsewhere. People already knew that mantle had a 10%-30% performance increase. 

Cool, but until it is actually adopted widely, I care not.

I love AMD, but Mantle still has a lot of issues. I know plenty of people who downright refuse to play games like BF4 with Mantle enabled because of it's issues.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You are reiterating what people could have found elsewhere.

Then again, all news agencies do this. It's like saying only a single news agency should exist.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You are reiterating what people could have found elsewhere. People already knew that mantle had a 10%-30% performance increase. 

Who cares? It's interesting to see the performance of a different combination of hardware, if you don't like it, move on.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Who cares? It's interesting to see the performance of a different combination of hardware, if you don't like it, move on.

If you don't like my opinion, then why don't you move on? 

If you don't like my opinion, then why don't you move on? 

I'm not getting into a debate, somebody might find this interesting, if you don't, simply move on.

As they say, if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

You could just leave if you have nothing constructive to add? Besides, "10%-30%" sounds more like some BS that the press would have you believe. Some of the differences are much more varied than that.

I love AMD, but Mantle still has a lot of issues. I know plenty of people who downright refuse to play games like BF4 with Mantle enabled because of it's issues.

Ye, it does have it's issues. It's getting better with every driver update AMD push out. It's showing the potential that is there though.

Thanks OP. :) Don't know why anyone wouldn't like a low level API. We are all getting this under DX 12, and everything I have read lately shows that Mantle is going to be easy as hell to port to DX 12. So what is there exactly to dislike? These games will all be DX 12 as soon as it releases it looks like.

Wild Star sure could use a low level API. SWTOR could have used a low level API. Star Citizen will be ready to rock with DX 12.

You have to remember that AMD doesn't have near the resources MS does. This is more of a thing where they showed what was possible and lit a fire under MS's butt. MS claims them and Nvidia have worked on a low level API for 6 years (and the card family support under DX 12 seems to validate that), yet AMD put it together quicker and actually got it working while fighting bankruptcy year in and year out? Microsoft ported Forza to DX 12 on an Nvidia card in less than a month with a very small team. If I am mad at anyone I am mad at MS for delaying this. I would bet money that MS could have this implemented tomorrow and it would be pretty darn stable. 

Who knows if we would have ever got a low level API without AMD pushing this. Intel would have no reason to want it, since they are ahead on single core. Nvidia and AMD wanted it (obviously), but MS holds the keys to the castle. MS had no reason to want us to have it, since it destroys a consoles value and they are in the console business.

Did AMD only do it out of desperation due to single core and being unable to keep up with Intel on R & D? Maybe. We all benefit from it though and I am ecstatic we are finally going to get a low level API. Think of how big PC Gaming growth is going to be with mini itx builds. The I3 skyrockets under Mantle as well.

An I3 on a stock cooler on a cheapo motherboard is much more affordable than an overclocked I5 K. 

http://pclab.pl/art55953-3.html

If anything Nvidia card owners with older cards got the better end of the deal with DX 12 and low level being pushed. GTX 400 series and up works (see MS and Nvidia working on low level API for 6 years) and AMD is limited to AMD 7000 series/GCN. Basically everyone wins and we have AMD to thank for finally making MS crumble and give in. Freesync? Also awesome. 

I own Intel/Nvidia but AMD is my favorite company atm out of the big 3. Doesn't mean I am going to buy an AMD CPU anytime soon, but I will prob go with AMD GPU's on my next upgrade. Freesync IPS and AMD cards seem like a no brainer to me at the insane price points of the R9 290's and it having 4gb VRAM and the cards scaling very well at high resolutions.

I will say that AMD makes the worse reference card cooling cards ever though. They really need to fix that crap. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.