Best performing powered monitor speakers for around $500 (NZD)

dylandylandylan

Hey guys,

As the title states, I'm currently in the market for powered monitor speakers and I'm unsure on what to purchase, because of inflated technology prices in New Zealand it's hard to compare value etc.

I'm looking at the audioengine a5+ and if I shop around I can get them for around $550, but I was wondering if there are any other products I should be looking at instead.

It's always good to save some money ;]

Thanks guys!

#!

The A5s are supposedly fun speakers to listen to, but the frequency response curve isn't exactly flat.

Watch: 

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Try looking into Swans. Those are great too but the A5+ is an excellent speaker but its only $350 here in the US. 

Edit: There are also P4s on Massdrop right now so you can see if that's cheaper after shipping to NZ

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s are supposed to be great and I looked at getting them a while back.

US Amazon link(sorry): http://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-DIA101-CHR-WHARFEDALE-DIAMOND-CHERRY/dp/B0079XG53W

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Go with the A5+, you will love them, just make sure before you buy any large speaker that you have the desk space to accommodate the soundstage.

Whats that in USD? I have a feeling its not enough for a pair of adam A3X's though.