Simple fan controller to control fan hub?

DasMuesli

Hey guys,

I got my new NZXT H440 case yesterday and installed my system in it. The case comes with a fan hub, looking like this: http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/5/5/5503_16_nzxt_grid_10_port_fan_hub_review_full.jpg

Currently I just connected the hub to a Molex connector which causes the fans to run at a 100% (12V) all the time. In order to adjust fan speeds I was looking for a simple fan controller which I can hook up to the hub power source, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118217

This controller in particular has a max output power of 10W which is not enough if let's say 5 fans are hooked up to the hub and each draws about 5W (total of 25W for all 5 fans).

Do you guys know of any fan controllers that could get the job done? I don't want any 5.25 bay solutions since the case does not come with that option anymore. I wanted to simply velcro the controller inside my case, out of sight, since I won't be adjusting fan speeds all the time. 

Thanks,

Tom

You could rewire the molex power to the splitter to run at 5V or 7V to give therefore lower the speed of the fans.

molex-01-EN.png

Are you talking about the controller built into case? You have to press the fan speed button on the case to change fan speed, otherwise they will always run at 12v.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Are you talking about the controller built into case?

Yeah, the input voltage for the controller hub is at 12V right now you can rewire the molex to operate at 5V or 7V.

Edited by W-L

You could rewire the molex power to the splitter to run at 5V or 7V to give therefore lower the speed of the fans.

molex-01-EN.png

That might be an option but wouldn't allow to adjust fan speed. It would basically fix the RPM-rate to 5V/7V operation.

Are you talking about the controller built into case?

I'm talking about the fan hub that the case comes with. It's technically not a controller.

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/nzxt_h440_20.jpg

That might be an option but wouldn't allow to adjust fan speed. It would basically fix the RPM-rate to 5V/7V operation.

I'm talking about the fan hub that the case comes with. It's technically not a controller.

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/nzxt_h440_20.jpg

Srry wrong phrasing yes the Hub there, if you want something that can adjust the speed, there is the swifttech controller that uses the motherboard's control. You'll need to enable the motherboard to allow for voltage control at the plugged in header since you fans are 3-pin.

http://www.swiftech.com/8-waypwmsplitter.aspx

Srry wrong phrasing yes the Hub there, if you want something that can adjust the speed, there is the swifttech controller that uses the motherboard's control. You'll need to enable the motherboard to allow for voltage control at the plugged in header since you fans are 3-pin.

http://www.swiftech.com/8-waypwmsplitter.aspx

So if I get this right, all fans connected to the hub (with CH1 being the CPU fan itself) will run at the same speed as the CPU fan??

So if I get this right, all fans connected to the hub (with CH1 being the CPU fan itself) will run at the same speed as the CPU fan??

Yes

One thing you can do it utilize a fan header on the motherboard and set that header to voltage control and it will allow all fans connected to it to be controlled via the motherboard but won't register a RPM back to the motherboard you can just connect all fans via 3 pin at that point and leave the CPU separately.

Sounds like something that might work and for $10 what's there to lose?. I will check it out. Thanks a lot!

I did some more research on the Swiftech 8-way PWM splitter. That only works with 4-pin PWM fans but the fans in the H440 are all 3-pin and therefore can only be regulated by voltage-adjustment (not PWM which is controlled by the motherboard). So unless I replace all the case fans with PWM-fans, the Swiftech splitter is not gonna work either.

Any other ideas? A simple voltage knob would be ok ...

I did some more research on the Swiftech 8-way PWM splitter. That only works with 4-pin PWM fans but the fans in the H440 are all 3-pin and therefore can only be regulated by voltage-adjustment (not PWM which is controlled by the motherboard). So unless I replace all the case fans with PWM-fans, the Swiftech splitter is not gonna work either.

Any other ideas? A simple voltage knob would be ok ...

Oh ok, hmmm you could get multiple ones of those zalman fan controllers and run them fans in pairs off them giving you a hardware control. There is one other solution I know which is a software based solution using a USB header on the motherboard is either the corsair link, or a T-balancer which both can allow you to control the speed of your fans and set specific fan curves and have temperature probes.

Hope that helps somewhat  :)

• 6 months later...

This isn't directed to OP, but is this fan hub manual or PWM? If it IS manual, can it be turned into a PWM hub?

"Think of all the beer you saved!." - Charles C.