compatibility issue? gtx 750 1gb

Hey guys! So my friend has an Hp Pavilion HPE H8-1114 desktop pc and wanted a graphics upgrade from the gt520. He went and bought a 430 watt and a 750 without asking me and asked for me to install it. At first I thought it might work, but i was a little skeptical. As I installed it i put in the psu and kept the old gt 520 in there and it worked perfectly. Then, i put the 750 in and it went to the hp load screen and it said "press esc to go to setup" etc. and then i got the beeps. 1 followed by 3 fast beeps. I called evga and hp and the support wasnt helpful at all and i think that the newer 750 isnit compatible with the mb. I updated the bios from the hp sitwe and it still didnt work, but i noticed the bios were last updated on feb 6th 2012. 2 years behind so im guessing that its a compatibility issue and im thinking of just getting him a 550ti 1gb because another friend has the same pc and got the 550ti and it works like a charm. any thoughts? thnx guys!

What kind of PCI slots does the motherboard have? Why keep the old card in there with it? Did you uninstall the old and install the new drivers?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

What kind of PCI slots does the motherboard have? Why keep the old card in there with it? Did you uninstall the old and install the new drivers?

There is only one pci express slot. i took the old gt 520 out and replaced it with the 750. Its a x16 slot

There is only one pci express slot. i took the old gt 520 out and replaced it with the 750. Its a x16 slot

Ok, then it should work. Did you uninstall the old drivers prior to replacing the cards? Then install the new drivers?

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I couldnt uninstall the old driver unless the gt520 was in and i couldnt get to the dvi on the mb because hp frigin drilled metal onto all the ports so that you need to get a special screw driver to get them on to access the ports

I couldnt uninstall the old driver unless the gt520 was in and i couldnt get to the dvi on the mb because hp frigin drilled metal onto all the ports so that you need to get a special screw driver to get them on to access the ports

That's why you uninstall the old drivers before removing the old card :D

But ive done this with multiple pc of the same type and ive never had to do that. i still feel as if its a comptibility issue.

But ive done this with multiple pc of the same type and ive never had to do that. i still feel as if its a comptibility issue.

Just go into the BIOS and see if it picks up the 750. If it does, boot into Windows and you're done.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

Just go into the BIOS and see if it picks up the 750. If it does, boot into Windows and you're done.

the problem is i cant even get into the bios. it freezes before i can do it.

the problem is i cant even get into the bios. it freezes before i can do it.

if u find out how to make the 750 ti work please tell me. i have the h8-1114 and i want a 750 ti.

if u find out how to make the 750 ti work please tell me. i have the h8-1114 and i want a 750 ti.

We sent it back. Now im getting him a 550ti and hopefully the compatibility wont be an issue. If it gives me beeps again im gonna try and get off the metal protectors on the ports directly from the motherboard and try to do stuff from there. Ill keep you posted. It may take some time though.

• 2 weeks later...

So we figured out the problem. Sorry it took so long. The motherboard just isn't capable of handling the 700 series cards due to the bios last being updated in 2012. Go with a strong 500 series card if I were you.

ok well man as you described there was beeps from the motherboard. generally this is telling you that there is something wrong with your pc. you can call hp tech support and ask them what this means. or you can do research. there is most likely a hardware failure somewhere!

also what psu did he get. if he got some cheap no name one tell him to return it and if its thermaltake for sure do the same. do not trust thermaltake!!

I hope ya friend did not get a faulty psu could have friend mobo who knows. hopes its ok. also Could been Electric static discharge damaging the components. should still putting in 520 back see if it works fine.

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

So we figured out the problem. Sorry it took so long. The motherboard just isn't capable of handling the 700 series cards due to the bios last being updated in 2012. Go with a strong 500 series card if I were you.

dude PCI express 16 is compatible with any gen card that says 16x  >.> should just work.  only thing what would happen is the gpu will be not able to unlock its full potential!!

also dude that mobo should have pci express 2.0. SHOULD WORK fine. and its not a bios thing

also could been gpu was faulty. or psu was faulty. 

dude PCI express 16 is compatible with any gen card that says 16x  >.> should just work.  only thing what would happen is the gpu will be not able to unlock its full potential!!

also dude that mobo should have pci express 2.0. SHOULD WORK fine. and its not a bios thing

also could been gpu was faulty. or psu was faulty. 

Im sorry but it was the bios. The bios were very old and weren't compatible with the newer card. I contacted support many times. Hp and EVGA and both said the same thing. It is a bios thing. Its fixed anyways. Psu was brand new as well and had plenty of power. I understand everything you said and already took it into account and it should have worked, but when it didn't i couldn't understand why so thats when i came to a conclusion that it was the bios. It was the bios. Do research on the exact model and you will understand. 

Dude I've been working on computers for several years. I have experienced this issue. I just remembered with my hp tower. I did have an older driver or wrong driver installed since my old ho tower which has integrated 6500 se go force gpu. When I installed the my 9800gt back then. I never considered uninstall older driver. And when ever I booted my comp I believe I had simular issue. I can't remember though my comp would into bios. It I think it did but it just could not boot into windows. Or I got a black screen. But anyhow that was due to old driver. There is no way in he'll it's a bios issue. Bios updates are for company lit of cpu and ram. Not gpu. Updates for gps is through software via runner by windows etc. If your motherboard say pci 3 xpress 2.0 and gpu says the same it should work. Either you got a defective card or you have older software. Also I don't know why you never plugged in old gt520.

All pci express 16x are backwards compatible.

Also another issue is that your 12 volt rail on the psu does not put out enough amps. You need at least 20 or more amps to power the card. If you don't your computer will not boot because it's trying to draw to much power which is not there. If you posted what psu your friend bought I can tell what amps it has on 12 volts. Even a 430 watt psu can have a crappy 12 volt rail. And like I said before if get off brand non well known brand name like Joe blow electronics. Let me warn ya he bought garbage.

Dude I've been working on computers for several years. I have experienced this issue. I just remembered with my hp tower. I did have an older driver or wrong driver installed since my old ho tower which has integrated 6500 se go force gpu. When I installed the my 9800gt back then. I never considered uninstall older driver. And when ever I booted my comp I believe I had simular issue. I can't remember though my comp would into bios. It I think it did but it just could not boot into windows. Or I got a black screen. But anyhow that was due to old driver. There is no way in he'll it's a bios issue. Bios updates are for company lit of cpu and ram. Not gpu. Updates for gps is through software via runner by windows etc. If your motherboard say pci 3 xpress 2.0 and gpu says the same it should work. Either you got a defective card or you have older software. Also I don't know why you never plugged in old gt520.

All pci express 16x are backwards compatible.

Also another issue is that your 12 volt rail on the psu does not put out enough amps. You need at least 20 or more amps to power the card. If you don't your computer will not boot because it's trying to draw to much power which is not there. If you posted what psu your friend bought I can tell what amps it has on 12 volts. Even a 430 watt psu can have a crappy 12 volt rail. And like I said before if get off brand non well known brand name like Joe blow electronics. Let me warn ya he bought garbage.

Dude it's an OEM board. It doesn't care if its x16 or x99 or whatever, it just wont work, because it's not meant to be. HP & other brands are known for this because they want YOU to go through THEMfor upgrading. That's what it is, they will charge you an arm for a shitty graphics card.

If you need another example, macintosh memory upgrades.

ok well man as you described there was beeps from the motherboard. generally this is telling you that there is something wrong with your pc. you can call hp tech support and ask them what this means. or you can do research. there is most likely a hardware failure somewhere!

also what psu did he get. if he got some cheap no name one tell him to return it and if its thermaltake for sure do the same. do not trust thermaltake!!

I hope ya friend did not get a faulty psu could have friend mobo who knows. hopes its ok. also Could been Electric static discharge damaging the components. should still putting in 520 back see if it works fine.

what about 600 series? do certain amd cards not work with the shit motherboard as well? or is it just the geforce 700 series that doesnt work

Prebuilt BIOS's have been known to "blacklist" certain hardware, but that doesn't seem to be the case. After some Google searching, it appears HP computers from a couple years ago don't have a new enough UEFI version to make it compatible with any 7XX series card. Multiple people are having the same problem with 760's and 770's.

That's what happens when people get prebuilts :P (No offense intended!)

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Prebuilt BIOS's have been known to "blacklist" certain hardware, but that doesn't seem to be the case. After some Google searching, it appears HP computers from a couple years ago don't have a new enough UEFI version to make it compatible with any 7XX series card. Multiple people are having the same problem with 760's and 770's.

Ya I've dug some more research myself. I've seen people having troubles with like a 660ti.  All I I can say is avoid hp. And now 8 know why lol. Like I'd by an hp product ever since I build my own system. But if we're to tell someone to buy a lippy or person who believes in pre built whatever. I'd say avoid hp at All costs. There is no blood reason should hp black you from upgrading.

what about 600 series, or any amd card? btw, the problem is the motherboard right?