Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bad time to upgrade?

Currently gaming a 4670k + 8GB + GTX 760. Kinda ignored gaming for a while but getting back into it now. Actually just picked up some PS4 games because I talked myself out of a PC upgrade this holiday weekend. Playing AC Odyssey on PS4 and honestly the game is great but it's reminding me of why I prefer PC.

I'm tempted to throw together a 1080 ti build right now (Ryzen 2700 or 8700k, 16-32 of 3000/3200, etc.) but just not sure it's smart. RTX cards should get cheaper over time and perhaps drive down prices of Pascal series, but also new AMD CPUs coming in a few months. 1080 ti isn't exactly a new card so I'm not sure about dumping money into a new build with 'older' (sooner to be outdated) tech.

Goal would be a few years of ultra settings and then coast for a few more at whatever. At 1440/60 right now but plan to move to 1440/120 eventually. Ideally 5-7 years before another upgrade again.

So, in my shoes, would you move now and see what 2019 holds?

1 minute ago, wrblz said:

Currently gaming a 4670k + 8GB + GTX 760. Kinda ignored gaming for a while but getting back into it now. Actually just picked up some PS4 games because I talked myself out of a PC upgrade this holiday weekend. Playing AC Odyssey on PS4 and honestly the game is great but it's reminding me of why I prefer PC.

I'm tempted to throw together a 1080 ti build right now (Ryzen 2700 or 8700k, 16-32 of 3000/3200, etc.) but just not sure it's smart. RTX cards should get cheaper over time and perhaps drive down prices of Pascal series, but also new AMD CPUs coming in a few months. 1080 ti isn't exactly a new card so I'm not sure about dumping money into a new build with 'older' (sooner to be outdated) tech.

Goal would be a few years of ultra settings and then coast for a few more at whatever. At 1440/60 right now but plan to move to 1440/120 eventually. Ideally 5-7 years before another upgrade again.

So, in my shoes, would you move now and see what 2019 holds?

Personally with how cheap they are right now I would get an RX 580 8 gig model. And a ryzen 2600. The am-4 platform should last for another 2 years and so if you want upgrade to Zen 2 or even Plus you will have those options available.

Ya I see what you're saying. But I'd rather not bridge. Can just make due with my current build and play AAA titles on PS4 if I have to. Next upgrade I'd like to go much closer to top tier, but just not sure if now is the time to do that.

With prices right now, its a great time to upgrade. RTX is just a gimmick I wouldn't stress to much about it.