Mini-ITX case: Node 304? Core 500?

Kaitlyn

Looking for an ITX case, I seem to keep coming back to fractal design. Yes, I want small but I don't want the absolute smallest footprint that will give me issues with component capability.

The core 500 SEEMS like a newer version, but how do I even go about picking one over the other? I was originally leaning towards the node 304 just because it's not cube and is slightly smaller, but it's more expensive and harder for me to buy here in Canada. The core 500 seems like a compelling alternative.

Any reason to NOT pick the core 500 over the node 304?

The shroud that goes around the 500 is a piece of shit to work with - Its flimsy and pretty hard to slide on to the case. Other than that though I liked the case. Not ideal for portability though.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

9 minutes ago, Slottr said:

The shroud that goes around the 500 is a piece of shit to work with - Its flimsy and pretty hard to slide on to the case. Other than that though I liked the case. Not ideal for portability though.

Yeah I do keep seeing the complaints about the side/top panel but I expect this to be a 1-2 time job... not planning to open and work with the computer regularly. Also not planning to transport it regularly, but do want it to be "small enough" that if I have to bring it with me i.e. during a move its not this huge tower. Hence ITX :)

Any experience with it vs the node 304? I'm not completely clear why the node is much more expensive

32 minutes ago, Kaitlyn said:

Yeah I do keep seeing the complaints about the side/top panel but I expect this to be a 1-2 time job... not planning to open and work with the computer regularly. Also not planning to transport it regularly, but do want it to be "small enough" that if I have to bring it with me i.e. during a move its not this huge tower. Hence ITX :)

Any experience with it vs the node 304? I'm not completely clear why the node is much more expensive

I havent built in the 304, sorry. Just the 500.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P