Is this my issue?

NewToTech

So the PC I am currently building keeps power cycling. Couldn’t for the life of me find a problem which the hardware so decided to check the power cables and I found one of the 24 pin motherboard cables is missing from the plug. Is this normal or is this why it repeatedly power cycles on and off? Thanks in advance for any replies.

F199BE18-0387-4C48-943D-30014A92E51D.jpeg

I provided a picture to show what I mean here. Next to the 2 red wires and in front of the white wire is just an empty slot. I never paid close enough attention before to notice if that is always empty or if this PSU is faulty. I am personally guessing it is supposed to have a wire in there

That's normal, there are usually a few blanks in them. Most of the 24 pins are ground anyways, I have attached an image of the pinout

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

It does not need a wire in there, i do know a lot Powersupplys which have a free slot there. Mine as well. If the slot is covered its mainly of astethic reasons.

I guess the Problem might be somewhere else.
Could you provide further information to the Problem? :)

i7-6850K, ASRock X99 Taichi, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000Mhz CL15, 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 SLI, some SSD's/HDD's, EVGA G2 1300W PSU,

quite a few Coldzero Parts ... all inside an Corsair Obsidian 900D - detailled information on my Profil

If it just cycles on and off, it could be a faulty Mobo as well. Try removing all peripherals (everything non essential to post, only RAM and CPU and gfx if no onboard video) and attempt to boot again.

1 minute ago, Ledury said:

It does not need a wire in there, i do know a lot Powersupplys which have a free slot there. Mine as well, i guess the Problem might be somewhere else.
Could you provide further information to the Problem? :)

Yeah. It’s a LGA1155 build, i7 3770 CPU, a GIgabyte GA-PA65-UD3-B3 motherboard, GTX 780, 8GB Crucial DDR3 RAM and 600W PSU from EVGA. Everything is installed correctly as I have built several computers before but nothing this old. I power it on and the board lights come on and it just restarts then repeats. Lights come on and it restarts repeatedly. I have no idea what to do about it

3 minutes ago, nayman898 said:

If it just cycles on and off, it could be a faulty Mobo as well. Try removing all peripherals (everything non essential to post, only RAM and CPU and gfx if no onboard video) and attempt to boot again.

I have 2 LGA 1155 motherboards. This one power cycles and the other locks up on the GIgabyte splash screen and won’t even allow me to get in to the BIOS

Just now, nayman898 said:

Same cpu for both boards?

Yeah I only have the one 1155 CPU as I am building the system for my nephew for his school work and light gaming

1 minute ago, NewToTech said:

Yeah I only have the one 1155 CPU as I am building the system for my nephew for his school work and light gaming

It could very likely be your CPU, especially if it's happening on two different mobos. But it still could be psu. It's hard to say with really break-fix troubleshooting

The missing pin is not the issue. That's for the -5V rail, which has been removed from all PSUs from about the last decade. 

:)

1 minute ago, nayman898 said:

It could very likely be your CPU, especially if it's happening on two different mobos. But it still could be psu. It's hard to say with really break-fix troubleshooting

I know and I did try looking around online for any kind of information but it’s difficult to get a response to a specific issue on things like troubleshoot articles where everything is just wrote out. I can’t give more information on the issue on things like that. Is there anything else I could try? Steps I’ve taken is replaced motherboard with another, changed RAM slots, changed RAM itself and tried each stick individually, taken it apart and reseated everything in the case. If it’s the CPU would that cause the issue on the original board where it would lock up at the GIgabyte splash screen and make me unable to even access the BIOS?

It could because the CPU still controls posting. I would try another psu next, and if that's not it. Then it has to be cpu. But I still think it's CPU

51 minutes ago, nayman898 said:

It could because the CPU still controls posting. I would try another psu next, and if that's not it. Then it has to be cpu. But I still think it's CPU

Thanks for the help. Luckily the place I got the CPU from, though it’s pre owned, they give you a 2 year warranty so I’ll just get a replacement. Unfortunately it takes them a week to send them out