Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dead R9 290 GPU

Hi guys.

So I have this R9 290 reference card that is definetely broken.

When I turn my PC on with it installed, it turns on for a split second, then turns off.

I know the GPU is the problem here because it has been tested in other otherwise working PCs.

If any of you know what could be the problem and how to fix it, please tell me.

Thanks for your advice.

When my friend had the same issue on his r9 390 I replaced the therm paste and installed aftermarket case fans then once I got into the computer I undervolted the card slightly

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

If you determined that the GPU is faulty. Then replace it....  If that is not what your asking then you need to contact manufacture to see if it's repairable.  

With out info telling ushow it doesn't work in other computers too.  It doesn't help diagnose anything other than it being broken....    Other than telling you to replace it.

3 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

If you determined that the GPU is faulty. Then replace it....  If that is not what your asking then you need to contact manufacture to see if it's repairable.  

With out info telling ushow it doesn't work in other computers too.  It doesn't help diagnose anything other than it being broken....    Other than telling you to replace it.

Well obviously, but I don't know anything else about it.

I was only asking for possible reasons it doesn't work.

Do you have a seperate GPU to test. Make sure it's not a South bridge issue Aswell.  

Does the video card show up in the bios?  And can you start it in safe mode

Could be things like the vrm on the card is toast or a ram chip.  Both could cause fails.  A 290 is on the old end of the spectrum and similar to the 290x's I run.  The 290x was designed to run hot and still be fine.  I think it's expected life was 5-6 yrs so if you over clocked it/ran it a lot it is prolly just at the end of its life. You could find some one with a test bench to run diagnostics but you already know it doesn't work.  Any money spent to fix it would be better invested into a new card that would likely be less power consuming and have more ram than a single 290.  I've kept my cards under water since I first ran them so feel they will become obsolete before dying