The dilemma...

D3M4L1S

So here is the problem, I want to upgrade my video card, something I have done every second generation for quite some time. However, this time I am not so lucky the rtx series is really expensive. And since my current gtx 970 is still playing games at ultra 1080, with the exception of the newer games that I haven't played yet(AC, TR, HM2, etc.). Also I would like to upgrade to a 1440p, g-sync is to expensive and I would like to improve the refresh rate to 144hz.

So that's 700$ for the card rtx 2070/1100$ rtx 2080, and around 800$ for a monitor. With a 1500-1800$ total. I am starting to think that this hobby is too expensive, heh. Or I could go back to the red team, and try their free sync for considerably cheaper.

Problem is I was red team oh so long ago, every driver update was a blue screen oh so many problems way back then and I was not impressed with all the time I had to spend fixing it. To further compound my problem, I am running an ancient setup 2500k, on a z68 board. But it plays F04 on ultra at 1080p from 40-60fps I would say average mid to high 50's.

And therein lies the dilemma, I have purchased a 3570k witch I plan to oc. That with the monitor upgrade should prevent the inevitable cpu bottleneck. But I have to start thinking of a mobo/cpu upgrade with the gpu/monitor upgrade, but I am hoping that this current build will make it another year or 2 until the theoretical cpu architectural builds come out.

I guess I am just looking for a plan of attack, which direction do I go first, and I am maybe hoping that the red team is not as bad as it was 20 years ago. If anyone is on the red team, and they can point me to literature that explains that their driver support has improved considerably it would be helpful. 

I will not be changing cpu's over,  I do not need to learn a whole system, I have been intel for a long time now and I am comfortable working with it.

Anyways thanks for reading, and please no "You're playing a console." jokes.

As you increase resolution, load on the GPU increases, so it decreases the likelyhood of a CPU bottleneck. That said, if you are already CPU bottlenecking at 1080p, you will be at 1440p also. Overclocking will help though. However I'd consider getting a 3770K, or upgrading to Ryzen 5 this time around, then maybe doing a GPU upgrade when the next generation of NVIDIA cards come out, if you want to stick to NVIDIA. Vega cards are good too, you can draw your own conclusions about them by watching some youtube reviews if you want. The RTX series as a whole seems kinda... not right. What with all the dying cards, them catching on fire, ray tracing being super meh. But that's just my opinion. They are some seriously powerful cards (as long as ray tracing is off LOL).

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

15 minutes ago, D3M4L1S said:

But it plays F04 on ultra at 1080p from 40-60fps

Yeah I would say that's more CPU bottlenecking, but as Cereal5 said the higher you go in Res the less load is on the CPU, and the more load gets put on the GPU's. This current generation of Nvidia's GPU's though I would avoid, and AMD unfortunately isn't doing that great on the GPU side of things.

I would suggest looking at reviews for a Vega 64 or a 1080, but also if you're planning on upgrading again in a year or so, might be worth it to stick to 1080p gaming for now, maybe upgrade to something like a 1070ti

CPU: Intel i7 6850K (4GHz core 1.34V, 3.5GHz cache 1.39V)  | Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaw 4 (2800MHz 14-15-15-32 1.45V) | GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 FE x2 (+Vega 56 w/ Vega 64 Bios for Folding/Mining) | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | Case: Corsair 900D (Modded to fit a third GPU mounted vertically) | Cooler: Corsair H110i w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14's (+4x Corsair case fans) | Storage: OS: Intel 750 SSD 400GB Fast Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Deep Storage: WD Black 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p @ 165Hz) + Insignia (1080@60Hz)

Oh the rtx I have been watching very carefully, a lot of the dying and cards on fire are mostly founders edition. I think they are making their boards cheaper while upping the cost way past the rate of inflation. It is also my opinion, that the rtx series was rushed so that they could capitalise on the mining craze. I do prefer there product don't get me wrong, I have not had a driver issue since I switched 15 years ago. It's just the cost is getting insane.

But i was Radeon/amd I think it was called ati back then for 5 years before that, and it was labour intensive. I also do not like seeing my pc blue screen, witch literally happened every driver release for a whole year. So it would take a lot of convincing, but I feel that it may be about time.

5 minutes ago, Invaderzim117 said:

Yeah I would say that's more CPU bottlenecking, but as Cereal5 said the higher you go in Res the less load is on the CPU, and the more load gets put on the GPU's. This current generation of Nvidia's GPU's though I would avoid, and AMD unfortunately isn't doing that great on the GPU side of things.

I would suggest looking at reviews for a Vega 64 or a 1080, but also if you're planning on upgrading again in a year or so, might be worth it to stick to 1080p gaming for now, maybe upgrade to something like a 1070ti

I can actually get the 2070 oc with excellent cooling, for about the same price as a 1080. And around 200$ more than the 1070ti. I know Nvidia wants me to buy a card every year, but I like my 2 series rotation and I don't know if I can break the tradition. Personally I am not happy with Nvidia on a corporate level, I think they are maybe getting greedy. But I do stand by their product. 

This maybe a little bias because the 900 series was freakin cheap compared to the 10, and 20 series. Hell the 10 series barely devalued thanks to miners. And I find that this capitalisation, while not following general inflation to be a little unethical.