Slow Hard Drive

SHG_Marsh

My parents recently found an old laptop From 2009. I got the hard drive and I put it into my computer. When trying to look through the hard drive the folders take forever to load. (I have given Administrator access) I want it to be faster because I want to get the photos off of it and I also want to plug my other hard drive back in. It just takes forever. Its only 60 gb

Kinda SOL, a slow hard drive is gonna be slow

You could put it into a system that has an SSD or faster drive in it with windows and just plug it in, but its still gonna take time

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Andrew.Schickowski said:

its most likely just the age of the drive and its slow rpm

ok

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Kinda SOL, a low hard drive is gonna be slow

You could put it into a system that has an SSD or faster drive in it with windows and just plug it in, but otherwise its gonna take time

Its currently in my PC right now. 

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Kinda SOL, a low hard drive is gonna be slow

You could put it into a system that has an SSD or faster drive in it with windows and just plug it in, but otherwise its gonna take time

2 minutes ago, Andrew.Schickowski said:

its most likely just the age of the drive and its slow rpm

Its weird because some folders open quickly but the ones that need administrative access take time

Just now, SHG_Marsh said:

Its currently in my PC right now. 

Best you can do at that point then

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

OPTANE BABY!

just kidding it would be a waste

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

OPTANE BABY!

just kidding it would be a waste

Nah, 32gb of suPeR fAsT drive space is worth a million dollars

Should I replace my current drive with the other one so I can just go onto the drive and move the files or would that be bad for my pc

1 minute ago, SHG_Marsh said:

Should I replace my current drive with the other one so I can just go onto the drive and move the files or would that be bad for my pc

I don't think that will work but you're welcome to try, it won't hurt anything.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

I don't think that will work but you're welcome to try, it won't hurt anything.

I meant to say make it my boot drive. Would that do anything? Because now it is connected to my pc with a sata cable

2 minutes ago, SHG_Marsh said:

I meant to say make it my boot drive. Would that do anything? Because now it is connected to my pc with a sata cable

yeah I don't think you'll be able to boot into it, I think the existing OS will lock you out, but you can certainly try.

Primary PC:

19 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

yeah I don't think you'll be able to boot into it, I think the existing OS will lock you out, but you can certainly try.

I just restarted my computer and it automatically went into automatic repair mode. I couldn't even get into my bios. 

1 minute ago, SHG_Marsh said:

I just restarted my computer and it automatically went into automatic repair mode. I couldn't even get into my bios. 

Ok probably time to yank the old hard drive

Primary PC:

Boot from a Linux USB and use that to copy the files over because Linux doesn't care about NTFS permissions.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM