file transfer-intel to amd

so im upgrading CPU to amd. ive learned ill need to reinstall windows or ill hit driver issues. apparently after that I should be able to put all other programs on the new system from old HDD. problem is...I have a lot of stuff on this HDD. its going to be a huge pain in the ass to find everything I need to transfer. so Im wondering if anyone knows about this situation, and if so what its the most efficient method for copying over my files. there must be a better way than just manually locating everything....right? D':

3 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

ive learned ill need to reinstall windows or ill hit driver issues.

I've switched between many machines with only 1 hdd, it does work sometimes. If you want to transfer effeciently, share the harddrive and use ethernet to transfer

The first step to moving everything is knowing what you want to move.  When it comes to personal files, I'll assume you are fully aware of where they all reside since you would have chosen that to begin with.  Moving on to programs and settings, the common locations to check are:

• in the folder for the program itself (in "Program Files" - while you're there, make sure to also check in "Common Files"),
  • in "ProgramData" (a hidden folder on C:\),
  • in your AppData folder, and
  • in a subfolder named for the program in your Documents folder.

You can always look up the program in question to find specifics if you need.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The first step to moving everything is knowing what you want to move.  When it comes to personal files, I'll assume you are fully aware of where they all reside since you would have chosen that to begin with.  Moving on to programs and settings, the common locations to check are:

• in the folder for the program itself (in "Program Files" - while you're there, make sure to also check in "Common Files"),
  • in "ProgramData" (a hidden folder on C:\),
  • in your AppData folder, and
  • in a subfolder named for the program in your Documents folder.

You can always look up the program in question to find specifics if you need.

11 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

I've switched between many machines with only 1 hdd, it does work sometimes. If you want to transfer effeciently, share the harddrive and use ethernet to transfer

thanks a lot for the tips. :) should help a lot.