New GPU breaks old gpu

Jared lee

Alright so I'm new to upgrading my PC and everything and so I'm probably going to need quite a bit of help.  Here's the story.  I was looking to upgrade the graphics card in my PC from a gtx 570 to a RX 580.  I unplugged everything and took out my old GPU and plugged in the new one.  After realizing I didn't have the right word I took out the new GPU and I was going to put my old GPU back in but when I powered my PC up I got no display however the fans on the old GPU still spin.  I bought an adapter for the new GPU so that I could plug it into my power supply.  I have since bought a new power supply EVGA 500w and I'm still having the same problem please help!

You need to uninstall the old Nvidia drivers and install new AMD drivers.

Make sure you're connecting the display cable and PCIe power cables to the GPU. (And if it's a modular or semi-modular power supply, make sure the power cables are plugged in there as well.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

Does your system POST? What model PSU do you have? I've seen units spontaneously die and fail to power on systems beyond fans and lights.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I have everything plugged in but I cant boot to the bios.  I can't plug the monitor into the motherboard and I don't get any display from the gpu

42 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

Does your system POST? What model PSU do you have? I've seen units spontaneously die and fail to power on systems beyond fans and lights.

No I don't think that my system has a post sequence and if it does it would display to the monitor which I'm not getting a display to :P. The model number for my PSU is 100-w1-0500-kr.  @Crunchy Dragon

59 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

You need to uninstall the old Nvidia drivers and install new AMD drivers.

Make sure you're connecting the display cable and PCIe power cables to the GPU. (And if it's a modular or semi-modular power supply, make sure the power cables are plugged in there as well.)

How would I go about doing that?.  I forgot to mention that the fans on my new GPU don't spin.  I have made sure that all the cords are plugged in.  @TheKDub

5 minutes ago, Jared lee said:

How would I go about doing that?.  I forgot to mention that the fans on my new GPU don't spin.  I have made sure that all the cords are plugged in.  @TheKDub

Does anything happen when you try to turn on the PC? Any lights or fans aside from the GPU?

If not, make sure the switch on the PSU is flipped to on.

I'd double check all connections, maybe try a different PCIe slot for the GPU if possible.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

13 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Does anything happen when you try to turn on the PC? Any lights or fans aside from the GPU?

If not, make sure the switch on the PSU is flipped to on.

I'd double check all connections, maybe try a different PCIe slot for the GPU if possible.

Some other fans turn on that are attached to the motherboard board.  I unfortunately don't have another pcie slot.  The switch is on.  The lights on the front also turn on. @TheKDub

31 minutes ago, Jared lee said:

Some other fans turn on that are attached to the motherboard board.  I unfortunately don't have another pcie slot.  The switch is on.  The lights on the front also turn on. @TheKDub

Hmm... Have you tried switching back to the old power supply with the old GPU?

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Hmm... Have you tried switching back to the old power supply with the old GPU?

@TheKDub. Yep. Still nothing 

12 minutes ago, Jared lee said:

@TheKDub. Yep. Still nothing 

The only thing coming to mind is something probably got fried somehow. Maybe someone else will come around with some other ideas, but I've run out.

28 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

The only thing coming to mind is something probably got fried somehow. Maybe someone else will come around with some other ideas, but I've run out.

Erk alright that's the last thing I wanted to hear haha.  Thanks for your help though!