MSI Afterburner Problems

First, is this the correct forum to discuss MSI afterburner. I was debating on posting in the graphics card forum, but this forum is listed as software. Please, if I have posted in the wrong location, let me know so I can post in the correct forum. If this is the correct forum, then my problem is listed below!

specs:

core i5-4460

16GB Gskill DDR3

crucial 128 GB SSD

Samsung 250 GB SSD

asrock z87 extreme4

antec 850 Watt PSU

GTX 780ti

problem:

to start off, i have never had this problem until i installed the most recent version of afterburner. after install, i restart windows as told. mind you, all i want to do is set the fan curve to be a little more aggressive. after i set my fan curve, the problem starts when i click apply!

the PC comes to a grinding halt or intermittent freezes. it's like a traffic light, stop and go. I was able to check cpu usage using taskmanager and the cpu usage spikes at 100% for 5-7 secs, (computer is unresponsive or very, VERY slow to respond) then drops to normal for a few secs then spikes again at 100% for 5-7. Only when i uninstall afterburner does the pc work correctly.

the thing of it is, i tried installing evga precisionX, and that program mimicked the exact same behavior of msi afterburner. What could be the problem?

Driver conflict probably.  I have a laptop that freaks out with any GPU tweaking software running.  Battery life goes from ~3 hrs down to 1 hr and CPU usage goes up a ton, even without changing any settings.

Both of the software use same base of Rivatuner. Install older version, or try with different drivers. This is probably very version related bug.

I use older Nvidia driver as, like yours, my GPU isn't the newest and doesn't really seem to need or get specific performance gains. You can find older and beta drivers here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

My GPU driver is 388.71, Afterburner is latest, 4.5.0.12819. Works just fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I know i am late, but thank you for the response. I will try an older version of nvidia drivers and an older version of msi afterburner. Again, thank you! I will post results!

I can confirm it is a driver issue. I am using the current version of msi afterburner and tested evga precisionx and both work under the 391.xx driver release in win 10x64. I do not know however, which driver version creates the problem! Problem fixed and thank you LoGiCalDrm for the suggestion!

23 hours ago, beetlespin79 said:

I can confirm it is a driver issue. I am using the current version of msi afterburner and tested evga precisionx and both work under the 391.xx driver release in win 10x64. I do not know however, which driver version creates the problem! Problem fixed and thank you LoGiCalDrm for the suggestion!

You know, MSI Afterburner has some extra settings like "enable low-level IO driver" or "enable low-level hardware access interface" - try to change them next time.