Need Help

I recently got an email from my mom saying i need a favor, so I opened it only to 10 minutes later receive a call from my mom, that this is a spam e-mail and eventually hijacks your account, disables it and sends emails to anyone who has ever emailed you asking for money because they have been mugged, I still have a decent amount of time before anything like this will happen to me. I have taken elementary precautions like changing my password and not letting anyone sign in from not my computer. The problem is, this will probably not work. Any suggestions?

I have thought of that, but that scans only what is on my hard drive, it will not scan for viruses on the cloud. To be safe i did an AVG check, and no viruses came up.

go into your task manager and scout out what's in the running processes. It's not going to be as obvious as virus.exe but you might see something. Run all the virus checks too of course!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

All right, is that all I can do? virus checks and task manager?

Malicious software that spreads via email is the definition of a virus so yes it is important to do a virus scan (I recommend MSE for anyone looking for a free anti-virus).  That said cloud email has almost rendered this form of mal-ware extinct because the email is handled in the cloud and then sent to be rendered by your web browser (attachments are exceptions to this).  So can the cloud get a virus?  Well your email provider could be attacked but most mainstream providers have very sophisticated AV.  Besides that's their problem not yours.  

Does your Mom use an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird?  If so she could still be susceptible to a Virus that would not effect you if you are indeed using cloud email.  If none of your contacts have received a similar email it would be safe to say that you were not infected, just play it safe in the future.

1 Timothy 1:15

You can also wipe your hard drive and reinstall the OS but that is pretty extreme lol.

may be extreme but normally faster then removing somethings lol

Thank you for all the help, i just deleted the account, AVG found the virus and removed it so i think i am good.