GPU Fan issues

Scruffy90

I have a Gigabyte 980ti G1 gaming. This week I noticed that there is odd behavior with my GPU fans. The middle fan won't go on at all, and the rear fan revs up and stops. What is odd is that none of the fans should not be turning on as they should be idle at <60C (comp is at 45C idle). If I manually adjust the fan speed using MSI afterburner, the rear fan kicks on properly and matches the RPM of the front fan, but the middle fan never turns on.

What should I do to properly troubleshoot and diagnose this issue?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Did you set a custom fan curve? It could be messed up.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Did you set a custom fan curve? It could be messed up.

I actually reset all values in msi afterburner. Don't know if my previous curves caused any issues.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

7 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I actually reset all values in msi afterburner. Don't know if my previous curves caused any issues.

Did you set the fan curve in the BIOS or, in MSI Afterburner? If you did it in Afterburner then, make sure it's using Auto instead of user-defined.

Actually, I'm stupid. you can't change GPU fan curve in BIOS.

4 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Did you set the fan curve in the BIOS or, in MSI Afterburner? If you did it in Afterburner then, make sure it's using Auto instead of user-defined.

In the bios, I set my case fan curves, not the gpu fan curves. In MSI afterburner, I clicked reset, then apply and noticed it was still happening. I took it off of auto to see if the fan that was spinning up and down was working.

So, if you disable auto in Afterburner then, the fans spin up as they are supposed to?

If I disable auto, 2 out of 3 spins up like its supposed to. The third one doesn't spin at all.

23 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

If I disable auto, 2 out of 3 spins up like its supposed to. The third one doesn't spin at all.

Maybe it's not meant to spin up? Try running a game or a benchmark to see if it kicks in after a while.

You could also try out Gigabyte's own OC software called OC Guru II

59 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Maybe it's not meant to spin up? Try running a game or a benchmark to see if it kicks in after a while.

Let me see what happens with a game or Gigabyte's software. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

It looks like they're all spinning up after I restarted with some of your suggestions. They are not spinning at the same speeds, and they are not consistently powering on either.

4 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

It looks like they're all spinning up after I restarted with some of your suggestions. They are not spinning at the same speeds, and they are not consistently powering on either.

Well, if the temps are fine then, I wouldn't worry about it.

Was there an option to set a fan curve in OC Guru II?

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

Well, if the temps are fine then, I wouldn't worry about it.

Was there an option to set a fan curve in OC Guru II?

I didn't get a chance to try OC Guru yet. I just went everywhere where a custom fan curve could've been set and just reset all of the values.