Google Slides, Sheets and Docs

Canada EH

These mysteriously shown up on my desktop and I am worried because it is Google.

Wikipedia states this, which is very worrying to me. "offering search results based on the contents of a document"

I will uninstall Google Drive Cloud Storage, then will I have to use a Virtual Machine and install the cloud on that?

Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, and Google Forms constitute a free, web-based office suite offered by Google and integrated with Google Drive. It allows users to create and edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations online while collaborating in real-time with other users. The three apps are available as web applications, as Chrome apps that work offline, and as mobile apps for Android and iOS. The apps are compatible with Microsoft Office file formats. The suite also consists of Google Forms, Google Drawings and Google Fusion Tables. While Forms and Tables are only available as web applications, Drawings is also available as a Chrome app. The suite is tightly integrated with Google Drive, and all files created with the apps are by default saved to Google Drive.

Updates

Updates to Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms have introduced features using machine learning, including "Explore", offering search results based on the contents of a document, answers based on natural language questions in a spreadsheet, and dynamic design suggestions based on contents of a slideshow, and "Action items", allowing users to assign tasks to other users. While Google Docs has been criticized for lacking the functionality of Microsoft Office, it has received praise for its simplicity, ease of collaboration and frequent product updates.

In order to view and edit Docs, Sheets, or Slides documents offline, users need to be using the Google Chrome web browser. A Chrome extension, Google Docs Offline, allows users to enable offline support for Docs, Sheets and Slides files on the Google Drive website.[78]

Google also offers an extension for the Google Chrome web browser called Office editing for Docs, Sheets and Slides that enables users to view and edit Microsoft Office documents on Google Chrome, via the Docs, Sheets and Slides apps. The extension can be used for opening Office files stored on the computer using Chrome, as well as for opening Office files encountered on the web (in the form of email attachments, web search results, etc.) without having to download them. The extension is installed on Chrome OS by default.[79]

No matter what you do, Google has access to all the content of your Google Drive (which is where sheets/docs/slide are stored).  It's stored in the cloud (Googles servers), not on your desktop or VM.

The only way around this is to never use sheets/docs/slides.

Thats part of drive right now. If you dont want google to look at anything, get yourself a server

Hmmmmmm

Them motherfucking Googlers

Probably best to not use cloud services anyways. Saved my ass a few times now.

I will buy a small external hard drive and a couple usb drives, and get rid of the cloud services.

I will also look into them stand alone server boxes. But those arent necessary.

You can always spin up a server VM and port forward it so you can access it from the outside world.  Services like DDNS will even give you a text web address and will update records if you have a dynamic IP.