Case blocking GPU ports

Bibarrel

I wasn't sure where to post this, since I haven't seen any other post relating to my problem in other categories and this is my first post to the forum. 

Anyway, I built a computer recently for a friend and here are the specs:

Intel i7-8700K

Asus Maximus X Formula

Dual Channel 32GB DDR4

Zotac RTX 2080Ti Amp Edition

EVGA 850W 80+ Gold

Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

WD 2TB Black

New Ark 90

While there are no problems with booting or the post codes, I do have a problem which was stipulated on the title of this post. 

I've attached the photos down below sl you can get a picture of what my problem is. Does anybody know any solution that doesn't involve cutting down the pieces that block the ports and if there isn't any other solution, how should I go about it? 

I've made sure that the exposed metal on the cable after being plugged in the port was is insulated from the case, and it works as I've said but I don't want that to remain permanent. 

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this. :)

IMG_20181010_055358.jpg

IMG_20181010_055401.jpg

Why is it on the 2nd slot tho. When the GPU isn't sagging, is it still aligned like that?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

6 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Why is it on the 2nd slot tho. When the GPU isn't sagging, is it still aligned like that?

I was surprised too, I removed the first cover and it ended up not being aligned there at all. But when I straighten the GPU when it's on its side, all the ports are blocked.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you either managed to find a case that's not made to spec, or you managed to mount your motherboard wrong.. in some way.

I'm pretty sure I mounted the motherboard correctly because I reseated the motherboard like 5 times just to see if that was the problem, but no matter how I look at it, it's definitely not the motherboard. 

I think you might be right, maybe this case isn't up to spec, or maybe because the GPU is new,I really don't know at this point. 

Thanks though. 

I had this too on an open workbench. :(

http://www.aerocool.us/strikex/strikex_air.html

Thankfully IIRC I could move the card/tray ever so slightly to fit in the connector I wanted, but it left one blocked. Only using it for a scratch build/test bench for now. (It's been butchered with a saw and a drill Muhuhuhuhuhuha!)

Just now, Bibarrel said:

I'm pretty sure I mounted the motherboard correctly because I reseated the motherboard like 5 times just to see if that was the problem, but no matter how I look at it, it's definitely not the motherboard. 

I think you might be right, maybe this case isn't up to spec, or maybe because the GPU is new,I really don't know at this point. 

Thanks though. 

what case is it exactly? i cant seem to find it in your post.

Just now, TechyBen said:

I had this too on an open workbench. :(

http://www.aerocool.us/strikex/strikex_air.html

Thankfully IIRC I could move the card/tray ever so slightly to fit in the connector I wanted, but it left one blocked. Only using it for a scratch build/test bench for now. (It's been butchered with a saw and a drill Muhuhuhuhuhuha!)

Glad to hear I wasn't alone with this one, but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to butcher the case, but it's looking to be the most plausible solution. Thanks for telling me about your predicament. 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what case is it exactly? i cant seem to find it in your post.

Oh no, must have forgotten to type it in, anyway its the GamerStorm New Ark 90.

Here, you can see the modder (not me! XD ) has no backplate on the motherboard too. image_stx_air_m-19.jpg

I had a 1 slot mini itx board, and the GPU had trouble up against the metal just between the Mobo and GPU.

My Silverstone Fortress Mini is similar, but like 0.1mm, so not a problem. Any more and the display port would be slightly covered. So tolerances are really really low. (I'm hoping to get a case laser cut real soon, and the PCI dividing columns/rows is the only part I actually need to check is mm perfect, else the mobo + card will not fit. :( ).

PS, my case was a charity shop find XD , but yours you can phone the manufacture/shop to see if they can help. Honest might be the back panel is slipped/wrong from the factory.

Found a build guide for your pc... had sli compatible motherboard... has no GPU installation. Conspiracy mode to max!!! ?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/deepcool_new_ark_90_tower_chassis_review,9.html

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Here, you can see the modder (showcased. XD ) has no backplate on the motherboard too. image_stx_air_m-19.jpg

I had a 1 slot mini itx board, and the GPU had trouble up against the metal just between the Mobo and GPU.

My Sulverstone Fortress Mini is similar, but like 0.1mm, so not a problem. Any more and the display port would be slightly covered. So tolerances are really really low. (I'm hoping to get a case laser cut real soon, and the PCI dividing columns/rows is the only part I actually need to check is mm perfect, else the mobo + card will not fit. :( ).

That sounds really unfortunate, hopefully the laser cutting can get it fixed, I don't have any facilities around me that do those kinds of services, so I might just use a saw and file down the rest of the metal. 

Btw sick test bench, looks really cool. :)

Ah nah, my laser cut is going to be a new build. The old case I just adjusted the tray/gpu a little, because it's an open case. Cannot do that with yours. :(

Seems in marketing they use the second slot too: 

ccab3311-cc93-4f49-9840-9a8de265cc95.png

But still, yours seems a LOT out of shape/size.

Looking at Amazon reviews it gets mixed results on build quality. No one posts your exact problem, but lots of "missing parts/bits fall off" posts. :(

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Ah nah, my laser cut is going to be a new build. The old case I just adjusted the tray/gpu a little, because it's an open case. Cannot do that with yours. :(

Seems in marketing they use the second slot too: 

ccab3311-cc93-4f49-9840-9a8de265cc95.png

But still, yours seems a LOT out of shape/size.

Yeah, it's just been really hard to find anything from the manufacturer to help me. 

This is what the PC looks like as a whole and seems to match what you've sent (excuse the clutter wasn't my place that I built this in) :

IMG_20181010_070112.jpg

6 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Looking at Amazon reviews it gets mixed results on build quality. No one posts your exact problem, but lots of "missing parts/bits fall off" posts. :(

Really when I was building and testing it, I didn't really have any experience like that, well besides this taxing problem at least. 

Is there no "play" in the movement of the motherboard and it's attachment screws?

26 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Is there no "play" in the movement of the motherboard and it's attachment screws?

No there wasn't, the motherboard and standoffs were pretty secure I made sure of that, as a final plea for help though, I just sent deepcool an email about this particular case.

Good idea. Yeah, all I could think of was tightening the screws on the motherboard and letting it move down a mm or so and tightening again, but depends on if it's a perfect fit, or if the screw holes are slightly bigger or not.

Hopefully the case company can sort it or send a replacement.

yeah I hope so too, thanks for all your help though, I really do appreciate it.