Plex only accesable from local network

kittyducky06

I started using a VPN recently PIA specifically and i am not able to use my plex sever remotely. i have a feeling that the vpn is blocking the PIA but only using plex locally and disabling the VPN are not options.

PIA isn't what's blocking Plex -- I can use Plex remotely just fine through PIA.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You are going to have to provide some more information on your set up, and network layout if you want any meaningful advice

34 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

PIA isn't what's blocking Plex -- I can use Plex remotely just fine through PIA.

Well then you will need to explain this as PIA blocks me using Plex remote as well. 

50 minutes ago, .Ocean said:

You are going to have to provide some more information on your set up, and network layout if you want any meaningful advice

network layout is a google wifi at basically stock

and my system shouldn't matter as far as i know but it is a 6700k and a gtx1060 runing windows 10.

53 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

and yes it is because when i disable the kill switch and PIA it works fine.

3 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

and yes it is because when i disable the kill switch and PIA it works fine.

I meant that something else has to be misconfigured somewhere -- it's not an inherent problem with using PIA. I have no issues with Plex through PIA.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, 79wjd said:

I meant that something else has to be misconfigured somewhere -- it's not an inherent problem with using PIA. I have no issues with Plex through PIA.

ok but PIA is the variable that changes so if you cant tell me why then i am going to go and blame something in PIA

What I meant was we need a better description of your issue to help you. More details is better.

Just now, .Ocean said:

What I meant was we need a better description of your issue to help you. More details is better.

when connected to my wifi i can acces plex but when i am not it tells me the server is off line. when i look and the remote acces tab on plex it tells me 

Not available outside your network

Your server is signed in to Plex, but is not reachable from outside your network. Learn more

9 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

when connected to my wifi i can acces plex but when i am not it tells me the server is off line. when i look and the remote acces tab on plex it tells me 

Not available outside your network

Your server is signed in to Plex, but is not reachable from outside your network. Learn more

Well thank you for the generous amount of detail but where does the VPN come in?

Just now, .Ocean said:

Well thank you for the generous amount of detail but where does the VPN come in?

when i am not using the vpn plex works fine the second i turn it on plex goes back to local only

Just now, kittyducky06 said:

when i am not using the vpn plex works fine the second i turn it on plex goes back to local only

and are you enabling the VPN on the same machine that plex is running?

Just now, .Ocean said:

and are you enabling the VPN on the same machine that plex is running?

the vpn is being enable on the mechine with the PLEX server runing not the client

My guess is that the VPN is routing all of your traffic through one port, and when you try to connect to plex through the default plex port it fails.

1 minute ago, .Ocean said:

My guess is that the VPN is routing all of your traffic through one port, and when you try to connect to plex through the default plex port it fails.

any ideas how i fix this

3 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

any ideas how i fix this

- Dont run plex on the machine you want to use the VPN on

- Maybe port forwarding the port(s) that PIA uses and then connecting to that port with the client from outside your network?

1 minute ago, .Ocean said:

- Dont run plex on the machine you want to use the VPN on

- Maybe port forwarding the port(s) that PIA uses and then connecting to that port with the client from outside your network?

the first isnt a option and for the second can you tell me how