PC getting stuck on boot screen after being shut down.

mattregataco

Hey everybody! So I recently just built my first gaming PC a few days ago. It fired right up and loaded windows 10 no problem, and has been working great with no issues, except one. Yesterday I decided to shut my PC down, since I wouldn't be using it for the night (Normally I'd put it into sleep mode, but that shuts my Ethernet connection off for some reason) The next morning I press the power button and it gets stuck on the BIOS screen. I waited somewhere around 5 - 10 minutes and nothing changed, so I hit the reset button and it booted up just fine. I tried shutting it down again a few hours later, just to see, and it did the same thing.

Everything in the computer is new, except for a 2TB HDD I installed after having loaded windows on my SSD. I haven't tried unhooking the HDD to see if that helps yet but don't see why it would, as it is freshly reformatted. But then again, I'm no very tech savvy as I'm sure some of you are.

Thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, mattregataco said:

Hey everybody! So I recently just built my first gaming PC a few days ago. It fired right up and loaded windows 10 no problem, and has been working great with no issues, except one. Yesterday I decided to shut my PC down, since I wouldn't be using it for the night (Normally I'd put it into sleep mode, but that shuts my Ethernet connection off for some reason) The next morning I press the power button and it gets stuck on the BIOS screen. I waited somewhere around 5 - 10 minutes and nothing changed, so I hit the reset button and it booted up just fine. I tried shutting it down again a few hours later, just to see, and it did the same thing.

Everything in the computer is new, except for a 2TB HDD I installed after having loaded windows on my SSD. I haven't tried unhooking the HDD to see if that helps yet but don't see why it would, as it is freshly reformatted. But then again, I'm no very tech savvy as I'm sure some of you are.

Thanks in advance!

Is your computer asking for something on the screen that it's stuck on?

if the 2TB HDD was used before as a WIndows disk then it will probably think it's still on there (because of a small partition with a MBR= master boot record)

a format of that small partition should do the trick.

I should note that the small partition is usually not noticable by windows itself. so you should look in you Disk manager and format it from there

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Just now, FastRDust said:

Is your computer asking for something on the screen that it's stuck on?

if the 2TB HDD was used before as a WIndows disk then it will probably think it's still on there (because of a small partition with a MBR= master boot record)

a format of that small partition should do the trick.

No it doesn't ask for anything just the regular boot screen, It doesn't let me enter bios or do anything as well while it's stuck, probably should have mentioned that. It did have windows on it before though. 

5 minutes ago, mattregataco said:

No it doesn't ask for anything just the regular boot screen, It doesn't let me enter bios or do anything as well while it's stuck, probably should have mentioned that. It did have windows on it before though. 

Okay so unhooking that drive while booting will do the trick, once its booted, connect the drive again and go to the Disk management. ( right klik on the windows logo > Disk management).

There you should get an overview of the connected drives and the partitions that are on it.

Select your 2TB drive, the partition should be called "System Reserverd", just Right click on that partition and "Delete Volume", later you can extend the bigger partition to also use that which has been erased :P

Edited by FastRDust
Lots of Typo's

2 drive have windows in it will clash each other because it will detect both of it as your main window and will stuck at boot screen 

4 hours ago, FastRDust said:

Okay so unhooking that drive while booting will do the trick, once its booted, connect the drive again and go to the Disk management. ( right klik on the windows logo > Disk management).

There you should get an overview of the connected drives and the partitions that are on it.

Select your 2TB drive, the partition should be called "System Reserverd", just Right click on that partition and "Delete Volume", later you can extend the bigger partition to also use that which has been erased :P

Thank you, that definitely makes sense, I'll try this soon as I get home. Thank you!!

On 10/22/2018 at 12:17 AM, FastRDust said:

Hey! So I did what you said, unhooked the drive, booted up just fine, hooked it back up, deleted the volume and restarted. after the restart a reformatted the drive so I could use it again. Like I said before, it boots fine when I restart, shutting down is the issue. So I shut it down and it still wouldn't boot with the drive installed. Did I do anything wrong?

8 hours ago, mattregataco said:

Hey! So I did what you said, unhooked the drive, booted up just fine, hooked it back up, deleted the volume and restarted. after the restart a reformatted the drive so I could use it again. Like I said before, it boots fine when I restart, shutting down is the issue. So I shut it down and it still wouldn't boot with the drive installed. Did I do anything wrong?

you can change the boot priority in the bios to set to try your SSD First, this would be under Boot options but the name can vary per board.

then it should boot op from that harddisk if it find an OS, Usually the CD and DVD are first and then a Harddrive but it does not specify which one so keep the model number close because that is probably what you will have to those in that list.