Overclock not working.....again :|

I just cant figure out what is going on this with motherboard and cpu.  (x99 deluxe ii and 6850k) 

Ill screw with it and get the clocks working like they are supposed to, and then a few months later im back to running 3.8ghz.  meanwhile all the bios settings are unchanged.  Yesterday I moved offices and the PC was unplugged for a few hours.  Started it back up and the bios had reset itself, but my profiles were still there. I loaded up my last profile, and ran some benchmarks, and  my user benchmark scores were way off. Checked hwinfo and the clocks maxxed at 3.8 with core 2 doing 4.0.  Checked the bios,  asus multicore enhancement is on,  sync all cores, and multiplier set to 43. Ram timings and bclk are all as I left them. 

The only way i CAN get my clocks up to 4.3 is to open the intel tuning program and set them to 43 manually in there.  For some reason, cores 1 and 2 are set to 40, and the others are set to 43.   Setting all cores to 43 makes it work like its supposed to the rest of the session until restart.  However, i do get a weird current limiting flag for a few seconds after clicking "apply changes" 

im not sure whats going on here.  feels like something in the bios isnt quite right.  Intel turbo boost and speed step are also both set to on. voltage is set to adapative with a max voltage of 1.238 (this voltage is stable for me for the last year)  

any ideas?

7 hours ago, JCBiggs said:

Ill screw with it and get the clocks working like they are supposed to, and then a few months later im back to running 3.8ghz.  meanwhile all the bios settings are unchanged.  Yesterday I moved offices and the PC was unplugged for a few hours.  Started it back up and the bios had reset itself, but my profiles were still there.

That kinda sounds like the battery on the motherboard is losing charge, but I think if that were the case you would have lost your profiles, unless theyre written to a ROM somewhere. Did you have to re-set the BIOS time? 

36 minutes ago, joishw said:

That kinda sounds like the battery on the motherboard is losing charge, but I think if that were the case you would have lost your profiles, unless theyre written to a ROM somewhere. Did you have to re-set the BIOS time? 

actually i did lose all my time settings.  I was thinking it might be time for a battery to, but hell its only 2 years old.  ill stick on in it regardless.  (it really is about time for them to change to lithium)

I was also confused about why i didnt lose the profiles. they must be written into non volatile memory somewhere.