Dual Windows 10 boot.

Nikhil Khurana

Hi,

I own an Acer Nitro AN-515-51 Laptop. It came with just a 1TB Mechanical Drive(HDD). I recently bought a M.2 WD Green SSD.

First I uninstalled my HDD, and installed a New copy of Windows 10, which I made using the Media Creation Tool. It booted well, though I forgot to download the drivers for other hardware.

So, I installed my HDD on the general SATA port, booted the Laptop. Now here I would to point that I had a copy of Windows 10 installed on the HDD, so i supposed that Windows should show me an option of choosing the Windows I would like to boot into, but nothing came. And it automatically booted into the new copy installed on the SSD.

I could see the HDD partitions in My PC, and the everything was accessible. 

Then I rebooted the laptop, to go into the BIOS mode to check if my drive was there in the boot section and I could see that both the drives were visible under the Boot tab.

But on booting, the older copy for the HDD booted. Since then I have booted quite a number of times, but I have not been able to Boot into the copy of windows on SSD.

Regards

Select boot order manually in the BIOS.

Also, I don't recommend having two copies of Windows 10 installed in a single computer.

6 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

Select boot order manually in the BIOS.

Also, I don't recommend having two copies of Windows 10 installed in a single computer.

I did select. That's actually is what's confusing me. 

I selected such that the SDD has the first preference and HDD on the second. Yet it keeps booting from HDD.

Regards

You should also be able to get into the boot menu to select the device you want to boot from. For me it's F8 but I think it differs per laptop. Anyway this is not persistent so the next time you boot you will have to do it again, but you should be able to get into your ssd.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

6 minutes ago, martward said:

You should also be able to get into the boot menu to select the device you want to boot from. For me it's F8 but I think it differs per laptop. Anyway this is not persistent so the next time you boot you will have to do it again, but you should be able to get into your ssd.

Well there isn't one in my laptop i suppose. When I reboot, it automatically comes into Windows.

When I go through the Recovery in windows 10, it takes me to the BIOS.

Even if I keep pressing F8 or F2 or F12 for that matter, nothing happens.

Regards

3 minutes ago, Nikhil Khurana said:

Even if I keep pressing F8 or F2 or F12 for that matter, nothing happens

Do you have fast boot enabled? Sometimes that will make it jump past the point where you can select stuff. Also you shouldn't hold it but spam it. According to a thread I saw it should be F12 voor boot and F2 for bios. 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Maybe a program like this could help:

https://www.easyuefi.com/index-us.html

My System:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, martward said:

Do you have fast boot enabled? Sometimes that will make it jump past the point where you can select stuff. Also you shouldn't hold it but spam it. According to a thread I saw it should be F12 voor boot and F2 for bios. 

Yes, I did have my Fast Boot enabled. I have disabled it. Will reboot and then let you know the result. Thanks for the input.

Regards