69$ PC Build please help

Hi friends,

I watch Linus occasionally (im not the most tech savvy kid, so i dont know a lot about computer parts) and recently watch the 69 dollar pc build. I know this question is most likely brought up a lot but I am a high school student In need of help with a pc build because my laptop has seen better days. I liked the idea of the 69 dollar one and was looking for a easy build similar to this from 50-100$ running the same things as they did in the video. Im asking you guys because my tetchy friend is too busy to help me. back to the build though,I play over-watch a lot but got out of it because my laptop couldn't run it well I would like it to run descent and be playable. also it has to run my school work which if it can run over watch, think it can run a math program. I have a monitor with the good old VGA cable but i have a HDMI adapter for it so that should be fine for the moment, you guys can help me that would be great?

Thanks 

Buy an old Dell optiplex and a used video card. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

Buy an old Dell optiplex and a used video card. 

That was my plan i just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other suggestions ?

In terms of where to buy something like an old Optiplex machine, I would recommend checking out places like surplus stores.  The university surplus store near me sells Dell Optiplex 7010 machines with 3rd generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors for $50.  Another $20 gets 8 GB RAM (4x2GB DIMMs).  Throw in a small(ish) drive and a GPU and you've got a machine that isn't half-bad.

11 minutes ago, benbb515 said:

That was my plan i just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other suggestions ?

That's basically the only way to get a sub-$100 PC.

-Moved to New Builds and Planning-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Gophyr said:

In terms of where to buy something like an old Optiplex machine, I would recommend checking out places like surplus stores.

You can grab them off Ebay and Craigslist too.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, Gophyr said:

In terms of where to buy something like an old Optiplex machine, I would recommend checking out places like surplus stores.  The university surplus store near me sells Dell Optiplex 7010 machines with 3rd generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors for $50.  Another $20 gets 8 GB RAM (4x2GB DIMMs).  Throw in a small(ish) drive and a GPU and you've got a machine that isn't half-bad.

By that do you mean a goodwill or something like that? thanks for the suggestion though.

1 minute ago, benbb515 said:

By that do you mean a goodwill or something like that? thanks for the suggestion though.

You could try that, but my university resells a lot of its computer hardware that goes out of warranty but still functions at a surplus store that they run.  They also sell old furniture, lab equipment, etc.

3 minutes ago, benbb515 said:

That's not a terrible option, but I've never found anything new enough to be worth getting in a thrift store, if I find anything at all.

33 minutes ago, benbb515 said:

It would help if you posted where you're from. Like what country or state. :)

$100 Gamin PCs have also been done by some popular YT channels:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%24100+gaminc+pc+cheap&FORM=HDRSC3

I'd recommend the videos by Tech By Matt and Zach's Tech Turf to get some ideas.  Have not watch the others though.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

16 minutes ago, grss1982 said:

It would help if you posted where you're from. Like what country or state. :)

$100 Gamin PCs have also been done by some popular YT channels:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%24100+gaminc+pc+cheap&FORM=HDRSC3

I'd recommend the videos by Tech By Matt and Zach's Tech Turf to get some ideas.  Have not watch the others though.

usa