PC keeps freezing up

Mitsuke

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but a friend of mine suggested I come here with this issue. Whenever I have my computer on for longer than 6 hours, my computer freezes up. Happens during games, watching youtube, etc. I can't seem to figure out what's causing it or how to fix it and it's becoming severely annoying to me. 

System Specs: 
Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz    35 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
    24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    ASRock H97M Anniversary (CPUSocket)    32 °C
Graphics
    M43-C1 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    G246HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Gigabyte)    48 °C
Storage
    111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (SSD)    31 °C
    931GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 (SATA)    27 °C
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DX002-2DV164 (SATA)    31 °C

I also have Corsair products, and I run Corsair iCUE and Corsair LINK. Also use Park Control for my CPU too. I also run Wallpaper Engine and Display Fusion as well if those matter at all.

two most likely reasons

1) your ram is problematic. it is not matching. You have 3 sticks of 8 gb? If so take one out. make sure all the rams are matching from the same manufacturer and placed in the right slots.

2) wallpaper engine <-- very buggy software. uninstall it asap.

I am not familiar with display fusion. <-- could be a problem tho.

other possible reasons:

1) CPU is overheating. i think you should uninstall corsair icue and just stick to corair link.

-the possible reason is that two programs are conflicting with the pump flow rate which causes the CPU to overheat and lock up.

2) PSU issue. You have a power hungry system. I hope you are not on 300watts.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

20 minutes ago, Srnewbee said:

two most likely reasons

1) your ram is problematic. it is not matching. You have 3 sticks of 8 gb? If so take one out. make sure all the rams are matching from the same manufacturer and placed in the right slots.

2) wallpaper engine <-- very buggy software. uninstall it asap.

I am not familiar with display fusion. <-- could be a problem tho.

other possible reasons:

1) CPU is overheating. i think you should uninstall corsair icue and just stick to corair link.

-the possible reason is that two programs are conflicting with the pump flow rate which causes the CPU to overheat and lock up.

2) PSU issue. You have a power hungry system. I hope you are not on 300watts.

My RAM is 2 4's, 2 8's. I checked my RAM via testing and it is fine. I did the other tests on my SSD, HDD, and Hybrid drive and they all passed. My CPU isn't overheating as it happens while my PC is idling as well. My PSU is a Seasonic 450RM Watt 80+ Gold. I've been using Display Fusion and Wallpaper Engine from Steam for awhile and didn't have this problem until recently. Same as ICUE and Corsair Link. ICUE runs my mouse/keyboard/headset as a program, while Corsair Link monitors my system.

1 hour ago, Mitsuke said:

I checked my RAM via testing and it is fine

what kind of testing did you do? memtest? (I still think that you should take out the 2 4s. since you wont be taking advantage of the dual channel.) 16gb dual channel > 24gb single (mismatching rams are known to cause weird issues, especially unexplainable frame drops) Try running prime 95 blend test for two hours!

My PSU is a Seasonic 450RM Watt 80+ Gold

okay, is that enough to power your system stably? Can you add up all the power requirements?

I've been using Display Fusion and Wallpaper Engine from Steam for awhile and didn't have this problem until recently.

So this is assuming that before, when you computed for six hours, you had no lock ups.

Could it be that you've been computing more frequently these days for six hours? If so, may be your computer always locked up at six hours but it was not apparent until now becayse you computed less than six hours before this problem caught your attention. Therefore, wallpaper engine could be the problem.

The reason why I am saying this is that wallpaper engine gave me quite a few headaches in the past so I just erased it.

ICUE runs my mouse/keyboard/headset as a program, while Corsair Link monitors my system.

I also have two corsair accessories: the k70 lux and the h100i. I also have corsair link and some other cosair software but its not icue. I had problems with icue before. It would mess up the pump as well the fan speed. It is not just me, bunch of other competent users have also expressed their frustration about this poorly coded software.

the problems could arise from

1) software

2) hardware

3) software and hardware

4) malware

Run kasperky antivirus just to be doubly sure. (its free btw)

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

So just an update guys! I'm still in a testing phase for it, but I turned off Display Fusion and seeing if my system freezes up at all. Nothing yet, which is good, but also kinda sucks because I loved the features Display Fusion had. x.x

• 2 weeks later...

seems that your issue is icue really, i have issues with all cue versions since 1 and i' searching for solution online all the time since the hardware is amazing but the software makes my games to lag like crazy, sometimes even the desktop the solution was always kill the cue and restart it.....

CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor @4.25

Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

RAM: G.Skill Flare X @3200Mhz 14-14-14-34-48-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR)