Windows issue on MacBook Pro

Ashleyyyy
Go to solution Solved by Ashleyyyy,

ok i got it working. i guess it crashing was Windows re-enabeling the gpu's when i didn't ask it to. 

so yeah it's working reliably now. no graphical acceleration but as i said, i don't need that for my use. 

so I'm trying to get Windows running on my MacBook Pro. I didn't use bootcamp. I held down the option key to boot the install usb and installed from there. that worked. 

I then booted into Windows and installed the bootcamp support tools. ever since then I can't boot Windows. it freezes at the screen with the Windows logo and the spinning circle. 

I can still boot macOS fine, and I can boot Windows in safe mode. just when I try to boot Windows normally it won't work. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Should have used BootCamp? If you use an unsupported method in the MacOS environment, I can't help ? 

bootcamp didn't detect my Windows 10 install usb for some stupid reason. I googled it and it seems you need to use a dvd for bootcamp to work... 

She/Her

Does your MacBook have an Optical drive? If so, I'd use it - it's a lot easier than using USB at times, especially since USB drives have to be formatted first, and then written to. Gotta know what program to use when writing the ISO to the drive, and sometimes a laptop won't recognise the drive even after doing the process write. I've had it happen like that, and just resorted to using DVD for almost everything now. 

2 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Does your MacBook have an Optical drive?

yep. it's a Late 2011 15".

it might also have issues because i disabled the amd gpu in efi. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Re-enable it, and try using a DVD with BootCamp.

i'm scared that if i re-enable it it will break on me. that's why i disabled it in the first place. these dGPU's are very unreliable. 

She/Her

I understand your concern. However, since you're running with an AMD dGPU, I think the likelihood of failure should be a bit less (unless you've been running it hard for a while). Just according to some light research:

But still, if you decide to leave it disabled, I won't complain :) 

8 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

I see - leave it off. No prob. Apple really does poorly with dGPU's in their MacBooks :( 

i fixed it. i had to disable both the amd gpu and the intel gpu in device manager. 

this means that Windows runs without gpu acceleration but i don't mind that. i'll only be using it for office and some other stuff for school. 

EDIT: nope, it works for a bit and then it crashes. 

She/Her

ok i got it working. i guess it crashing was Windows re-enabeling the gpu's when i didn't ask it to. 

so yeah it's working reliably now. no graphical acceleration but as i said, i don't need that for my use. 

She/Her