recommend me some plex hardware

intertan

I am looking at building a dedicated plex/emby server. my current setup while works is over 10 years old and can't keep up. Now that fibre is in my area I need to do something.

requirements are

rack mount, i could do 4u but prefer smaller. Can a 2U server meet my needs?

1-2 GPU, will get one for sure but would like a 2nd slot if I needed.was thinking of mounting the cards horizontal and not vertical

10gbe Ethernet, over kill probably but I do have 10gbe switch on my network

m.2 drive to access the media info in a timely manner.

will be doing ram transcoding when needed.

IPMI would be nice but not needed.

right now I am thinking up to 10 streams. Client hardware is all x265 capable but most of my media is x264. I am also getting a 4k tv in the near future.

I will be migrating over to emby in the future, I have no live TV yet but it is in the works and emby can transcode live tv. Still researching on the best options for that as I need some sort of HDMI capture card/iptv encoder.

Why would you need GPUs in a server for transcoding? You can add the M.2 on a PCIe card, so I'm gonna ignore that requirement to give you best value.

Either way...

CPU: Dual E5-2667s? Your choice there, really.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 - has 16 RAM slots, dual CPU sockets, 2 10gigabit ports + a dedicated IPMI NIC, plus two PCIE ports for a GPU, 2 onboard SAS2 sockets (up to 8 drives each). https://www.theitmart.com/GA-7PESH2-GIGABYTE-Intel-Rev10-LGA2011-E-ATX-Server-Motherboard

RAM: 4-8x 8GB ECC DDR3; pick it up off ebay.

Case: 4U Rosewill w/ 15 drive bays: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091IZ1ZG/

PSU: Whatever you want, needs to have dual EPS power and a 24pin plus whatever you need for your GPU(s). (Though I guess you could use an EPS splitter but I really wouldn't recommend it)

14 minutes ago, Jade said:

Why would you need GPUs in a server for transcoding? You can add the M.2 on a PCIe card, so I'm gonna ignore that requirement to give you best value.

Either way...

CPU: Dual E5-2667s? Your choice there, really.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 - has 16 RAM slots, dual CPU sockets, 2 10gigabit ports + a dedicated IPMI NIC, plus two PCIE ports for a GPU, 2 onboard SAS2 sockets (up to 8 drives each). https://www.theitmart.com/GA-7PESH2-GIGABYTE-Intel-Rev10-LGA2011-E-ATX-Server-Motherboard

RAM: 4-8x 8GB ECC DDR3; pick it up off ebay.

Case: 4U Rosewill w/ 15 drive bays: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091IZ1ZG/

PSU: Whatever you want, needs to have dual EPS power and a 24pin plus whatever you need for your GPU(s). (Though I guess you could use an EPS splitter but I really wouldn't recommend it)

with plex a gpu can do much more than a CPU can. M.2 was if the board only has 2 16x slots and that is it a m.2 spot is needed.

it is just in the planning stages. While fiber is in the area will probably be 4 months till the network is turned on

You will need quadro card if you wish to do gpu transcoding with more than 2 at the same time. Also most bottleneck when direct play/streaming is your going to be your hard drives.

I would stick to stronger CPU, why don't you stick with x264 as this support way more devices compare to x265.

Magical Pineapples

34 minutes ago, EMC said:

You will need quadro card if you wish to do gpu transcoding with more than 2 at the same time. Also most bottleneck when direct play/streaming is your going to be your hard drives.

I would stick to stronger CPU, why don't you stick with x264 as this support way more devices compare to x265.

found this a week or so ago