Windows Xp professional iso

cadenm1223
Go to solution Solved by TetraSky,

While there is no "legitimate" place to download the iso(from Microsoft), you can get it from here:
http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-xp-professional-sep-2018-free-download/
As a general rule, Windows XP is 32bit. If your old computers have more than 3.5GB of RAM, you should consider a newer version of Windows or just use Linux.

I have some old computers that need to have windows xp professional installed on them. I already have product keys but I need the base OS to install. Does any body have any site to get the ISO file for free? I don"t know if my computers have 32 or 64 bit cpus but if you find a website that has the complete ISO file then please comment back. And for some reason softlay does not let me download the ISO for windows xp. Every time I click download it say error not allowed. If you have a fix for that then please let me know.

You should be able to check the bit ability of the CPU’s in the bios. 

While there is no "legitimate" place to download the iso(from Microsoft), you can get it from here:
http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-xp-professional-sep-2018-free-download/
As a general rule, Windows XP is 32bit. If your old computers have more than 3.5GB of RAM, you should consider a newer version of Windows or just use Linux.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, fpo said:

You should be able to check the bit ability of the CPU’s in the bios. 

Thanks I did find out that they are both 32 bit cpu's. 

1 minute ago, cadenm1223 said:

Do I burn this to a usb? Sorry if that is a dumb question.

I would recommend burning it to a CD. But using something like Rufus, you should be able to make it work as a bootable USB. No nevermind, not compatible.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

I would recommend burning it to a CD. But using something like Rufus, you should be able to make it work as a bootable USB.

Ok thanks!

4 minutes ago, cadenm1223 said:

Ok thanks!

Aaaah wait, Rufus is no longer compatible with Windows XP since version 2.18 apparently, so you'll need to go in the Older Version and get that one.

Just burn it on a CD if you can, save yourself the hassle. (Windows XP never really worked nicely for USB installs)

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Aaaah wait, Rufus is no longer compatible with Windows XP since version 3.0 apparently, so you can't use that.

Just burn it on a CD if you can.

You can download an older version of Rufus here

https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, cadenm1223 said:

Should I use cd burnerxp?

Just a quick tip so people knows you're talking to them on the forum, make sure you quote someone or tag them by using the @ then their name like this @TetraSky

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I have 64-bit Windows XP running on my Athlon 64 systems. XP isn't always 32-bit.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, cadenm1223 said:

@Razor Blade thanks for the info. Im new here so sorry about that

Welcome to the forum!

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Installed it in a VM real quick to check it out and it works a treat.  I assigned 2GB or RAM and 2 cores.  Seems fine.

I have a few Windows discs around somewhere from previous installs, tech upgrades where they gave me their old PC to destroy the hard-drive after transferring files, and the like. 

Windows typically charges $5 per disc without a COA, and I can't give or sell you any of the COA's on any of the case chassis I have but a disc shouldn't be a big deal to copy as long as you can't find it anywhere else and as long as Microsoft is ok with it... Legally, anyone is allowed to make a backup of software because the license is for the software, not the cd, etc.. and that can break... So as long as you own a legitimate COA you would be able to download the ISO from somewhere - but you're only supposed to be able to have 1 backup, if I recall correctly... The full information is on copyright.gov - As for copying the disc and transferring it or providing a backup to another legitimate owner... It would make sense that it is allowed, but it may not be...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend downloading the ISO from anywhere other than Microsoft as downloaded copies typically have bloatware, malware, viruses, etc.. embedded in them...