New PC, Same Storage Device - Need Help

jiyeon

Hi, so my brother is getting a new PC and it will have completely new parts, all but the storage device, a 500GB HDD that he'll salvage from his old PC. He has a retail copy of Windows 10 and was activated "through your organisation's activation method" so I assume that's a retail copy. He will also be going from an Intel CPU and motherboard to a Ryzen CPU and a B450 motherboard, so I have a few questions:

1) Is there any sort of Windows 10 activation needed when going from Intel to Ryzen, even if I'm using the same storage devicee?

2) His HDD that he'll be salvaging, will that have any major impact or issue since he's going from Intel to Ryzen?

3) His previous PC has a GT 710 with Nvidia drivers on it, since he's going to 2200G, will this have conflict with the new Ryzen CPU?

4) Is it as simple as plugging in the old HDD into the new system and we're good to go from there?

5) Is it better to simply format the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Notes:

• He will be going from an Intel i5-650 to a Ryzen 2200G

• His previous PC has a GT 710 in it and his new PC will have no dedicated graphics card

• He has no more budget for a new storage drive, so don't say "Buy an SSD" no matter how cheap

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1) Sometimes yes, sometimes no

2) It should perform as it did

3) Some motherboards are going to turn off the 2200g's internal graphics, but otherwise it will not conflict

4) Windows can install drivers when starting up the first time on the new system, so you should be fine

5) You could, but exept the reasons for refreshing there's no difference

5 minutes ago, seoz said:

His HDD that he'll be salvaging, will that have any major impact

Yeah it'll run terrible. 

They really should have an ssd as a requirement for windows 10. I would almost equate running windows 10 on a hdd similar to running a computer without a gpu driver , it works but barely.

1) Is there any sort of Windows 10 activation needed when going from Intel to Ryzen, even if I'm using the same storage devicee?

1: Linus already made a video about this.  -> 

2) His HDD that he'll be salvaging, will that have any major impact or issue since he's going from Intel to Ryzen?

2: There should be no issues whatsoever if the HDD Is in good condition.

3) His previous PC has a GT 710 with Nvidia drivers on it, since he's going to 2200G, will this have conflict with the new Ryzen CPU?

3: Not really, but I will deffenetly advise in safe mode using DDU to clean drivers and install fresh ones.

4) Is it as simple as plugging in the old HDD into the new system and we're good to go from there?

4: Yes.

6 minutes ago, seoz said:

5) Is it better to simply format the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows? If so, how do I go about doing that?

If you don't want to save any valuable information or you already did a backup on external storage, then your safe bet of securing a non issue Windows is to format the drive. You can easily do it by just re-installing the Windows and format it. I'm not sure if it's going to void the licence tho

4 minutes ago, voiha said:

3: Not really, but I will deffenetly advise in safe mode using DDU to clean drivers and install fresh ones.

Yeah, I've heard about DDU but I've never personally had to use it so I know nothing about it, it's safe to run the PC from the start and DDU old drivers if I need to, right?

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah it'll run terrible. 

They really should have an ssd as a requirement for windows 10. I would almost equate running windows 10 on a hdd similar to running a computer without a gpu driver , it works but barely.

But his old PC with Clarkdale specs ran fine, so Ryzen really shouldn't struggle, at least from where I estimate the CPU. I will however now consider paying out of my own pocket for his new PC's performance's sake.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Yeah, I've heard about DDU but I've never personally had to use it so I know nothing about it, it's safe to run the PC from the start and DDU old drivers if I need to, right?

Absolutely, there shouldn't be any problems with it. Just make sure it is in safe mode and the PC doesn't shutdown midway because of something. Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

Just now, voiha said:

Absolutely, there shouldn't be any problems with it. Just make sure it is in safe mode and the PC doesn't shutdown midway because of something. Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

Alright, thank you for that. I guess I'll learn about what DDU is for my brother's sake and so I can learn something new about new hardware! :) 

3 hours ago, RKarim said:

Well, if you want to grab the key off of that system just in case you could try ProduKey, its perfectly safe I promise, ignore the 90's style website.

Um, I'll skip that. I'd rather have to get another product key than to have the chance of infecting my current PC, sorry, security first.