Black Screen Issues

TheLeadZebra

So I'm having an issue with my desktop, my girlfriend was playing The Sims 3 having a good time when she got hit with a blue screen, upon restart it passes the boot screen and the windows loading spinny dots, but just as it should tell you to log in the monitor loses input. I don't know any more about the cause because I was not in at the time so that is all the info I've got on that 

What I've tried:

Safe Mode

Graphics driver removal/back dating

System restore

Windows reset

What I've learnt:

It works fine with safe mode, so I downloaded my driver removal tool and went at it. A quick restart later and it runs perfectly (as a desktop can without graphical drivers).

However installing graphical drivers, even older ones I have installed myself with no issues before seems to revert it back to the input loss before log in.

Due to it being an issue that doesn't occur in safe mode/without drivers I would guess it's maybe a windows or GPU issue? 

I have attempted to try to repair windows using the advance boot menu and taking it back to a system restore point that was made earlier that day, but the restore failed. I then tried a full windows reset but during the reset finalising it restarted to continue, but never got to the log in again, and after hard restarting it just said that it was reverting changes.

So at this point I have done all I can think of save for using a USB copy to repair windows which is on my to do list. 

Any other help would be recommended.

Specs:

AMDFX6300

AMD R9 290

16GB RAM

Display is running through GPU, I've had this rig running for years with no issue, when suddenly this happens with no hardware changes

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 5:41 PM, TheLeadZebra said:

So I'm having an issue with my desktop, my girlfriend was playing The Sims 3 having a good time when she got hit with a blue screen, upon restart it passes the boot screen and the windows loading spinny dots, but just as it should tell you to log in the monitor loses input. I don't know any more about the cause because I was not in at the time so that is all the info I've got on that 

What I've tried:

Safe Mode

Graphics driver removal/back dating

System restore

Windows reset

What I've learnt:

It works fine with safe mode, so I downloaded my driver removal tool and went at it. A quick restart later and it runs perfectly (as a desktop can without graphical drivers).

However installing graphical drivers, even older ones I have installed myself with no issues before seems to revert it back to the input loss before log in.

Due to it being an issue that doesn't occur in safe mode/without drivers I would guess it's maybe a windows or GPU issue? 

I have attempted to try to repair windows using the advance boot menu and taking it back to a system restore point that was made earlier that day, but the restore failed. I then tried a full windows reset but during the reset finalising it restarted to continue, but never got to the log in again, and after hard restarting it just said that it was reverting changes.

So at this point I have done all I can think of save for using a USB copy to repair windows which is on my to do list. 

Any other help would be recommended.

Specs:

AMDFX6300

AMD R9 290

16GB RAM

Hi, im having the same issue it seems to be a windows update thats caused this as ive tried everything for the past week, you can try unplugging the hdmi and replugging it in that works for me most of the time also try disabling windows defender and other anti virus software and see if that helps.

let me know if this helps at all!

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)