Random "critical process died"?

miclin

2 weeks ago when I was browsing through the forum, the Windows bluescreened suddenly with the error "critical_process_died" without any sign beforehand. I turned off the pc and took it apart, mounted the PSU correctly (It was not secured when it happened) and the system worked fine as if nothing happened. 2 hours ago my PC bluescreened once again. This time while playing GTA V. Bluescreened with "critical process died". It rebooted automatically this time, but stuck at the boot screen for a bit, before launching the troubleshooting blue screen. I chose the option of booting the system normally but it just looped back onto the same screen. Opening BIOS, I found nothing but something like "SATAxxxxxxxxx"(forgot the numbers) being the only boot option. I finally held down the power button and rebooted it. This time in the BIOS I found my boot manager back. Pressing F10, everything worked fine as if nothing happened (again). I have googled it and found nothing like my case. Is there anything I could do to solve this? I really don't like my PC running into problems randomly. Help would be appreciated :)

Run a check on your hard drive.

Event Viewer in Windows is where you should be looking for the answer, not just pulling things apart.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

6 minutes ago, userzero said:

Run a check on your hard drive.

Event Viewer in Windows is where you should be looking for the answer, not just pulling things apart.

Thanks for the reply. I have an m.2 ssd as my boot and game drive. So I don't know if the HDD played a role in the crashes. But I will check it though.

I should clarify that the first crash happened the next day I built my new system with a new case and AIO. Don't know if that matters.

Looking into the Event Viewer I only found one critical error which is Kernel-Power 41 (63). Found a couple of posts and currently trying the troubleshoots one by one. Hope that works out.

Ok so Kernel power is just telling you the power went out unexpectedly don't worry about that.

Yes see what CrystalDiskInfo says on that drive.

So it was running fine before you put it in a new case and put the new cooling system on?

2 minutes ago, miclin said:

Kernel-Power 41 (63). Found a couple of posts and currently trying the troubleshoots one by one. Hope that works out.

Unfortunately that's the most generic error possible, it just means the pc was improperly shut off (which you did when you rebooted it after the bluescreen).

It could be a problem with your drives, but it could also be your graphics driver; try reinstalling it or rolling it back to a previous version. If your drives seem fine and messing with your graphics driver does nothing, we can try troubleshooting your hardware one part at a time.

Try to establish whether it only happens with GTA or not and if you had any other programs open that might have caused a problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, userzero said:

Ok so Kernel power is just telling you the power went out unexpectedly don't worry about that.

Yes see what CrystalDiskInfo says on that drive.

So it was running fine before you put it in a new case and put the new cooling system on?

Yes it was running fine before that. I just ran a scan on my ssd and hdd and found that the ssd had no problem but the hdd needed repair. I hit repair and it said the repair was successful. Any implications on that?

But the HDD is a secondary drive right? Are you running anything from that or is it purely storage?

What app told you there was a repair needed? What kind of repair? 

Just now, userzero said:

But the HDD is a secondary drive right? Are you running anything from that or is it purely storage?

What app told you there was a repair needed? What kind of repair? 

Yes the HDD is a secondary drive. I was running nothing from that drive (which I am pretty sure because I have no programs on that drive). I just hit "properties" and "scan" on my drives in windows file manager.

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Unfortunately that's the most generic error possible, it just means the pc was improperly shut off (which you did when you rebooted it after the bluescreen).

It could be a problem with your drives, but it could also be your graphics driver; try reinstalling it or rolling it back to a previous version. If your drives seem fine and messing with your graphics driver does nothing, we can try troubleshooting your hardware one part at a time.

Try to establish whether it only happens with GTA or not and if you had any other programs open that might have caused a problem.

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure about the graphics driver as I touched nothing on that but will try on that. GTA is not the problem I believe as it was not opened in the first crash (given that both crashes are from the same problem source). Just now when I was typing this, a Windows update 1803 popped up telling me to install it. Should I leave it there or install the update?

Ok so I just updated the graphics driver and Windows to the latest version (which is the very basic of troubleshooting) and hope that solves the problem.