Problems caused by overclocking

Go to solution Solved by bleedblue,
Just now, fireball0902 said:

Yea? Something wrong with that?

Nothing per se, but maybe it's a driver issue. Try using DDU to remove all drivers and remove the 1050. Try just the 480 with only the AMD drivers installed.

I recently tried overclocking my graphics card, which is an AMD RX 480, but later decided that I wanted to stick to stock speeds. I later found out that something I had done had been causing some issues. I now have stuttering whenever I do any mouse input in any game, be it MMO, FPS, anything. When I sit still, my FPS is fine, but whenever I move my mouse at all, I get freeze spikes to the point where the game is unplayable. What would I be able to do to reverse these issues?

Computer specs:

CPU: Intel i7-7700K, overclocked to 4.8 GHZ

Motherboard: No idea it came with the computer, it's a Lenovo y900 computer if that helps

Graphics Cards: Nvidia GTX 1050 TI OC edition from Zotac, AMD RX 480

note: I got these graphics cards working together for a few months now, and these issues are popping up after I tried overclocking the AMD card, so it shouldn't be an issue from the Nvidia card.

Storage: 1 128 GB SSD, 1 1TB WD Blue, 1 4TB WD Blue

Monitors: Asus VG248 1080p monitor, acer X203w, 1680x1050 resolution

Wait, you have a 1050ti and an rx480 in your system?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

11 minutes ago, fireball0902 said:

Graphics Cards: Nvidia GTX 1050 TI OC edition from Zotac, AMD RX 480

note: I got these graphics cards working together for a few months now, and these issues are popping up after I tried overclocking the AMD card, so it shouldn't be an issue from the Nvidia card.

Try old drivers, a new driver update could cause the two cards to clash. MAKE SURE the card you're gaming on is in top slot on motherboard and the display cable is plugged into the card. RESET ANY changes you have done to stock and as always make sure windows is updated. THE OPPOSITE of what I suggested too, try updating to new drivers if they have been the same this whole time. If you are up to some testing remove each card and test them individually.

9 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Wait, you have a 1050ti and an rx480 in your system?

1 minute ago, fireball0902 said:

Driver conflicts as well as systems with multiple cards have other potential problems. MAKE SURE nvidia card isnt set for SLI xD

1 minute ago, itisme911 said:

Try old drivers, a new driver update could cause the two cards to clash. MAKE SURE the card you're gaming on is in top slot on motherboard and the display cable is plugged into the card. RESET ANY changes you have done to stock and as always make sure windows is updated. THE OPPOSITE of what I suggested too, try updating to new drivers if they have been the same this whole time. If you are up to some testing remove each card and test them individually.

I had done some benchmarking with these cards separately before trying to overclock, the whole reason I was trying to overclock by rx 480 is because it was under preforming

Nothing per se, but maybe it's a driver issue. Try using DDU to remove all drivers and remove the 1050. Try just the 480 with only the AMD drivers installed.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

1 minute ago, itisme911 said:

Driver conflicts as well as systems with multiple cards have other potential problems. MAKE SURE nvidia card isnt set for SLI xD

I haven't done anything with the nvidia card since I put it in other than changing refresh rate settings so that it could run my monitor properly

1 minute ago, bleedblue said:

What is DDU?

What is DDU?

Program used to completely remove all traces of a GPU driver in your system.

4 minutes ago, fireball0902 said:

I had done some benchmarking with these cards separately before trying to overclock, the whole reason I was trying to overclock by rx 480 is because it was under preforming

IF you damaged your card then the benchmarking done beforehand is useless and you would need to revlidate

Just now, itisme911 said:

IF you damaged your card then the benchmarking done beforehand is useless and you would need to revlidate

How would I go about revalidating a GPU?

How would I go about revalidating a GPU?

Take one out and test the other, then test the one you took out without the last. MAKE SURE you update al drivers and delete the other cards when you do this. Try using DDU to remove the drivers if you have issues.

20 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

I just finished doing what you said in this post and it WORKED!!!

However, I will need to add something to the steps of doing this:

I personally had to remove both sets of drivers for the graphics cards and restart my system, after that I installed an older stable driver for my rx 480, and my games are working fine now. Thank you guys for your help!

I just finished doing what you said in this post and it WORKED!!!

However, I will need to add something to the steps of doing this:

I personally had to remove both sets of drivers for the graphics cards and restart my system, after that I installed an older stable driver for my rx 480, and my games are working fine now. Thank you guys for your help!

NP, just make sure you have autoupdate off until you find a driver that works and remember old drivers can cause problems, GL HF and happy gaming