When playing games system suddenly stops

n30phyte
Go to solution Solved by ionbasa,

Okay so I think I found the problem. I had 331.xx and 320.xx both installed. I uninstalled 331 and was able to play the game for longer than usual. Gonna install 331 and uninstall 320 and see what happens

Make sure you do a clean install:

CB-151111.JPG

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my PC. This happens all the time when playing graphically intensive games. After an hour or so, the PC would just blackscreen or whitescreens and I would have to either unplug it or reset it. I don't know what the problem is (Hence why I'm asking you guys :P). Updating the vBIOS and the NVidia drivers for my system didn't seem to do anything. I hope that this could be fixed. I only noticed this yesterday when me and my cousins had an extremely small and private LAN party for my birthday (YAY!)

System info

CPU  : Intel Core i5 4670K not overclocked(yet)

GPU  : GTX 770 Asus DirectCUII OC underclocked to stock 770 settings

RAM  : 8 Gigs of Kingston HyperX Silver 1600

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

I hope that this can be fixed soon. The point of this PC was to play (and make) games!

might be the ram.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

what are the temps when you are running the games and idle check them.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

might be the ram.

I'll run a memtest86 soon

what are the temps when you are running the games and idle check them.

How do you see CPU temps while in game?

Are there any dump files? 

Per: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Upload the dump files from C:\Windows\Minidump in a compressed archive (.zip etc) to the forum using the "Attach Files" button under the editor. This allows us to read the error messages and diagnose the problem effectively and quickly.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Nope no dump files.

might be the ram.

Memtest says no problem (10 Pass 0 Fail)

GPU(Furmark) runs fine except it's hitting 80+ Degrees Celsius

CPU hits 100 Celsius when running IBT Standard but it says no errors. Going to run Prime95 all day now

Nope no dump files.

CPU hits 100 Celsius when running IBT Standard but it says no errors. Going to run Prime95 all day now

cpu hits 100? well that's clearly too much, what cooler do you use`?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Nope no dump files.

Is there anything in the event viewer?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/226084-event-viewer-open-use-windows-7-a.html

Also beware that prime95 will run with AVX, so expect a butt-ton of heat from the cpu.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You should probably fix your heatsink and reapply thermal paste. 100 Celsius is way too high. What are your temps at idle? Check in your bios

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @4200 | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600 | GPU: Evga GTX 660 TI x2 SLI | Case: Corsair C70 | Storage: WD Black 1TB, Samsung 830 126GB SSD, Kingston V300 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850 | Display(s): ASUS 2ms 24inch 1920x1080 | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 13 | Mouse: Razer Naga 13 

You should probably fix your heatsink and reapply thermal paste. 100 Celsius is way too high. What are your temps at idle? Check in your bios

The Intel Burn Test runs with AVX whenever possible. Also Haswell has on-chip voltage regulators.

When AVX code is ran by the cpu, the voltage gets increased by about .1v

This has been reported and documented before, so no, it isn't unusual in synthetic benchmarks.

The Intel Burn Test runs with AVX whenever possible. Also Haswell has on-chip voltage regulators.

When AVX code is ran by the cpu, the voltage gets increased by about .1v

This has been reported and documented before, so no, it isn't unusual in synthetic benchmarks.

The  Intel Core i5 4670K ​max temp is 105 degrees Celsius before it shuts down automatically to prevent frying. The voltages if set to default (since he hasnt OC'd yet) should be fine.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @4200 | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600 | GPU: Evga GTX 660 TI x2 SLI | Case: Corsair C70 | Storage: WD Black 1TB, Samsung 830 126GB SSD, Kingston V300 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850 | Display(s): ASUS 2ms 24inch 1920x1080 | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 13 | Mouse: Razer Naga 13 

The voltages if set to default (since he hasnt OC'd yet) should be fine.

Doesn't matter. When the CPU runs AVX code, the voltage regulator automatically increases the voltage by ~.1v

cpu hits 100? well that's clearly too much, what cooler do you use`?

Stock Intel

Is there anything in the event viewer?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/226084-event-viewer-open-use-windows-7-a.html

Also beware that prime95 will run with AVX, so expect a butt-ton of heat from the cpu.

Event viewer shows nothing about the crashing

You know what? Let me try playing a game and watch the temps and event viewer.

UPDATE: My PC just crashed again. Event Viewer says nothing. (I was playing L4D)

UPDATE 2: It just crashed again. GPU Temps and Usage seem to be fine. Didn't notice CPU temps. This is what it looked like http://imgur.com/AKgr92W

UPDATE 3: (ALL DEM UPDATES) CPU temps are normal before the crash. Friend suggested possible Nvidia driver corruption (?) Redownloading 331.82 and retrying then

Okay so I think I found the problem. I had 331.xx and 320.xx both installed. I uninstalled 331 and was able to play the game for longer than usual. Gonna install 331 and uninstall 320 and see what happens

Make sure you do a clean install:

CB-151111.JPG

-snip-

Sure will. Downloading the drivers take a while though.

Happy Gaming

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB