New NAS Build - Help/Suggestions Please

Jonza

Hi Everyone,

So I have been running a slightly upgrade HP Microserver Gen8 for a couple of years now... problem I am having now is running out of storage/bays.

The server is just used for personal storage and blu-ray and dvd rips for my personal Plex server...

Specs:

Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.40GHz
10GB RAM
1x 120GB SSD (Boot Drive)
2x 4TB WD REDS
2x 8TB WD REDS (Not Yet Installed)

Running Windows Server - Will be switching to Unraid once I complete my new build.

Another problem is the Micro server has 2x 6Gbps ports 2x 3Gbps ports... which isn't ideal. hence why I haven't installed the 2x 8TB drives. another problem is that the ODD port (separate port was for DVD Drive) is again only sata 3gbps which is been used for my SSD which isn't getting the full benefit...

I was hoping someone could suggest me a cheap build or pre-built system like the microserver? that could support 8+ drives hopefully in a similar form factor? (I am from the UK so UK stores like retailers would be best) don't need anything super powerful or even more powerful just want something that is of a similar size to my current setup and supports more drives at full speed.

Thank you in advance for any comment and suggestions you may post.

-Jonathan

If reccomended this board before although its a bit older: asrock C2750D4I. Loads of sata ports, small, supports ecc ddr3 memory, low power consumption and even ipmi build in

Not bad, is there anything consumer grade that has more than 6? Hopefully ITX?

Oh shit, there is 6 more at the top. Nice one.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

Dont think so, why would a consumer want that(itx w >6 sata ports) is what manufacturers think.

You already have to search harder these days for an atx board with more than 6 sata ports

2 minutes ago, karsnoordhuis said:

Dont think so, why would a consumer want that(itx w >6 sata ports) is what manufacturers think.

You already have to search harder these days for an atx board with more than 6 sata ports

Some consumers want to download the internet. :P

If its not possible to find something so small with a large amount of SATA ports I'm happy to get something bigger, I just don't want a massive case just for a storage/plex server haha :) im sure you understand the smaller the better really but If it has to be bigger then that's, that.

2 hours ago, TehJonny said:

If its not possible to find something so small with a large amount of SATA ports I'm happy to get something bigger, I just don't want a massive case just for a storage/plex server haha :) im sure you understand the smaller the better really but If it has to be bigger then that's, that.

That asrock board is itx with 12-16 orso sata ports. Its not consumer but server grade stuff. Ideal for a media server.

It's sorta server grade. I know that Asus MSI Gigabyte etc want to get into server space and they make products for it, but..

Anyhow it's a great suggestion, I like it a lot. A little skeptical about that processor but yeah good call.