harddrive temp problem

mash104
Go to solution Solved by dcgreen2k,
1 minute ago, mash104 said:

ya ive had it for about 8 to 10 years i think  so ive got my use from it.i was think about getting a 2tb drive to replace it with. what would be a good drive to get.i havent bout a hard drive in a while.and thank you for all the help so far

I would get this: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B013QFRS2S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535836664&sr=8-3&keywords=western+digital+2tb+5400rpm+hard+drive

It's a great hard drive for the price and is surprisingly fast considering it's only 5400rpm.

my 500gb storage hard drive started to run about 10c  higher then it used to.it used to run about 38 to 40c but last few days its running about 50c. is it about to die you think? manual says 60c is the max temp but i was just wondering why it started running hotter since nothing was changed.

Probably not, do you have any fans blowing air near it?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

5 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Probably not, do you have any fans blowing air near it?

yes its directly infront of one of the two front intake fans

Just now, mash104 said:

yes its directly infront of one of the two front intake fans

That is strange, usually hard drives run at around 30-40C with good airflow. Can you give us the model of the drive and download Crystal Disk Info to check for any anomalies?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

If you don't have a recent backup, now would be a good time to make one.  Then check it with Crystal Disk Info and HD tune.  When in doubt, assume it's dying.

7 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

That is strange, usually hard drives run at around 30-40C with good airflow. Can you give us the model of the drive and download Crystal Disk Info to check for any anomalies?

i already made a back up 

Capture.PNG

6 minutes ago, mash104 said:

i already made a back up 

Capture.PNG

The only thing I can see is that the drive has been in use for a very long time, maybe it's time to get a new one.

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

3 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

The only thing I can see is that the drive has been in use for a very long time, maybe it's time to get a new one.

ya ive had it for about 8 to 10 years i think  so ive got my use from it.i was think about getting a 2tb drive to replace it with. what would be a good drive to get.i havent bout a hard drive in a while.and thank you for all the help so far

1 minute ago, mash104 said:

I would get this: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B013QFRS2S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535836664&sr=8-3&keywords=western+digital+2tb+5400rpm+hard+drive

It's a great hard drive for the price and is surprisingly fast considering it's only 5400rpm.

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC: